Bottle bomb; now I've got to drink the beer - tough work!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Since getting back to brewing a couple of years ago, I had my first bottle bomb last night. 4,000+ bottles and one busted; not too bad a record.

It was a Shakespeare Stout clone, 5.9 abv. Turned out excellent, wife thinks it great too. 1.061 to 1.016 with PacMan yeast. 4 weeks in the fermenter before bottling, I had no reason to think it was not finished. 10 weeks in the bottle.

Just checked the gravity of the beer tonight ..... after letting the carbonation dissipate, it ended up at 1.012.

Now I have the tough task of getting rid of the rest of the bottles! 6 down, another 30 to go!!!! I think I'll risk leaving a couple for tomorrow.

It is really tasty, it will be a shame when it is all gone.

Since getting back to brewing a couple of years ago, I had my first bottle bomb last night. 4,000+ bottles and one busted; not too bad a record.

It was a Shakespeare Stout clone, 5.9 abv. Turned out excellent, wife thinks it great too. 1.061 to 1.016 with PacMan yeast. 4 weeks in the fermenter before bottling, I had no reason to think it was not finished. 10 weeks in the bottle.

Just checked the gravity of the beer tonight ..... after letting the carbonation dissipate, it ended up at 1.012.

Now I have the tough task of getting rid of the rest of the bottles! 6 down, another 30 to go!!!! I think I'll risk leaving a couple for tomorrow.

It is really tasty, it will be a shame when it is all gone.

Need help? :tank:

Tell your wife that you're drinking so much to protect her. It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it!

Dam tasty Stout. It's sad that they are going to be gone so quickly. Will have to try and brew it again.

I measured the gravity at 1.012, versus 1.016 at bottling. That's equivalent to about 1.5 ozs of sugar per gallon. That's probably in the region of 4 volumes of CO2. Add that to the almost 3 volumes I primed, would make this somewhere between 6 and 7 volumes. I'm surprised that only 1 bottle has busted.

Since I don't have too much fridge space for beer, many of the bottles are still out. I'll try and get them in the fridge by the end of tonight

Back