Slow ferment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
I have my first mead going for about a 2 weeks now. It had 15lb clover honey and 2 lb of Alfa Alfa honey. (it's all my hbs store had left) I mixed it all up and it ended up about 1.090, i ended up taking about 3/4 liter of of the must and about 1/2 liter of water to make a starter with. It ramped up for about 36 hours and the I added in to the must. It's been eating away for about 2 weeks now, but I just took a hydro sample to see where it is and it is sitting at 1.058. Im not sure if me coming from the beer background of I am used to faster ferments, or should this be quicker then it had been. I'm just worried i may have under pitched and the yeast are stressed (I've been adding yeast nutrient as well every 48-72 hours as well). Can someone let me know if the slow ferment is typical, or if I should do something to help the yeast out.

I was having the same problems and I asked the guys at B Nektar(they make mead here in Michigan) about it and they told me I wasn't stirring the mead well enough when I added the yeast. You have to aerate mead extremely well. I use a thin-set\grout mixing paddle and a cordless drill and it has helped out a lot. That, and really fresh honey, RO water, and Fermax yeast nutrient. FWIW

I have a tshirt from B Nektar, their vids and reviews sond really good, would love to try their mead but shipping alone makes it ridiculously expensive ($40+ a bottle) plus last I tried the link from their website to order online was broken

I shook the carboy for 5-6 minutes when I added the starter, and have been shaking it for 2 min or so each yeast nutrient add. Hope it's enough. Just worried about stressing the yeast.

I have a tshirt from B Nektar, their vids and reviews sond really good, would love to try their mead but shipping alone makes it ridiculously expensive ($40+ a bottle) plus last I tried the link from their website to order online was broken

They make some great stuff, but pricey. The good thing is they are less than 10 minutes from my house. :D

Back