Are you a Beer Snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat voted the worst beer of all time? ;)

Yep. It's nasty, nasty stuff. I do have a friend that drinks it and I kept saying I"m going to buy a box of Fruity Pebbles and clone it for him!

I don't like any of Leine's beers, but I can tolerate the creamy dark and the honeyweiss. Oh, and the Big Butt Dopplebock is not bad. The rest really stink. Dick Leinenkugel had a tasty event at one of our local watering holes, mixing beer and various foods. It was great. Except for the beer. :drunk:

This seems an appropriate time to hype my own post "Transitioning from Beer ****** to Beer Geek"

The Beer Geek

Good piece.

I admit that I used to be a brewdouche/Beersnob, but then I grew hair on my balls and started to get laid regularly, and realized that it really doesn't matter what other folks like or don't like....especially if I was getting laid regularly. ;)

I think it's like you say, it's more new beer aficionados rather than old hands...it's the whole zealots thing.

It's funny though,. Every couple weeks or so we get a bud/commercial beer bashing thread or a Brewdouche type thread where someone want to "convert" his partner/friend to craft beers. When I first started here, the folks who posted in response would be all in agreement. Now it's more like "who elected you beer god?" or "Why can't they just like what they llike?"

Same with the budbashing threads, except for those die-hard "beer wars" wonks who believe that is the only side of the story and bud is the evil empire, most folks tend to either just yawn at the treads or say what most folks on this thread have said..."every beer has it's place and time."

So I guess we're all getting laid regularly eh?:)

I had a Bud Light after a long day chasing pheasants in the field... Have to say, it was pretty good after a long day. Then I got home and hit the keg, and then there was no comparison...

In the end, I am no snob. I just like to brew, and I have liked everything so far that I have brewed... I always try to find something new to drink from the smaller breweries that you can find in the grocery store (in this area, it is pretty limited), and try to frequent breweries in the area when I can. Otherwise, I am just a middle class beer connoisseur.

If I could afford it, I'd drink only micro brews. If I go out to eat or go to watch the game and eat some wings with the dudes, I'll drink micros. If I'm going out with the intention of getting all pissy eyed, I'm not above a Coors Light. Mainly because it's cheap, but I also don't mind it. Just like when I go over to a buddys house and he hands me a Michelob Golden Light, I'm not gonna turn it down.

Something about chugn a Colorado kool-aid or high life with the parents on a 100 degree Texas afternoon makes it ok. But the commercial swill never sees the inside of my fridge, and I don't knock those that it does.

I have 4 bars in walking distance from my home. 1 has no microbrews 2 have a small selection and one has anywhere from 20-30 different microbrews. I find myself at the bar with the larger selection as they seem to bring in new ones each week. I have noticed that if we eat out we tend to migrate to those resturants that have a selection of microbrews. THe last time we went out for dinner my wife asks "Do they have In-Heat Wheat, or something eles that's good?".

I realize and fully admit I can go a bit beer-snob on occasion, but this article fails to consider that macro-beer drinkers can be snobs as well. If you drink only one type of beer (be it BMC, Belgian Abbey ales or anything in between) and refuse to even try anything else, isn't that snobbery?

I realize and fully admit I can go a bit beer-snob on occasion, but this article fails to consider that macro-beer drinkers can be snobs as well. If you drink only one type of beer (be it BMC, Belgian Abbey ales or anything in between) and refuse to even try anything else, isn't that snobbery?

images

Back