beersmith, why doesnt boil time change est. OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyveedub

Reaction score
Do I have my beersmith configured incorrectly? Obviously a longer boil will yeild a higher gravity. When I change my boil time, the estimated OG stays the same. For some reason I thought it took boil time into account? Anyone?

Do I have my beersmith configured incorrectly? Obviously a longer boil will yeild a higher gravity. When I change my boil time, the estimated OG stays the same. For some reason I thought it took boil time into account? Anyone?

Why would boiling longer create a higher OG? The amount of the sugars don't change.

The only way a longer boil would change anything is if you boil off more liquid in a longer boil. So, if you went from 7 gallons to 5 gallons in a boil usually, but in the next batch you went to 4.5 gallons, you'd have the same amount of sugars in there but less volume.

I was under the impression that the water would boil off and leave more sugar behind leaving you with a higher gravity due to less water.

Beersmith only looks at your batch size for OG calcs. If you increase the boil time, it doesn't decrease the batch size, it increases the pre-boil volume.

Your right a longer boil would mean more boil off, and therefore would mean a higher OG. Yes the sugars would be the same but the water would be less which = higher OG. But like NCbeernut said beersmith increases your pre boil volume to account for a longer boil.
It will up your amount of sparge water.

As NCBeernut says Beersmith does not adjust OG based on boil time. If you want to see the effect of a longer boil on your gravity you have to know your boil off rate and then manually change the amount of your batch size to your anticipated final volume.

At least on my beersmith, if you adjust the boil time (near the efficiency number at the top of your recipe) it will adjust the amount of wort you need to collect at the beginning of your boil. Lower the final batch size if your intent is to up OG via a longer boil.

-whoops, looks like NCBeernut already stated this above!

Yes
Since BeerSmith uses brewhouse efficiency (which represents all losses in the system in the efficiency number) and not mash efficiency as a basis, changing the losses in the brewing process won't change the OG number. The OG number is calculate from the grains added, volume into fermenter and overall brewhouse efficiency.

Here's an article on it.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

Cheers,
Brad

it seems that colour doesnt change either, and i can assure you that you boil for 90 you will get a darker beer.
and that is the case , unless i am wrong. also i pre carmelize part of my first runnings usally boil 2 gallons to one and then add rest of runnings. no option for that either. be interesting on colour issue.
my smash beers come out a lot daker that bs can say

Obviously, BS2 has a crap ton of problems - the whole efficiency thing, the apparent inability to handle unfermentable carbs, boil effects on gravity, etc, etc. I'm constantly fighting the damned thing and some days wonder if it's worth the aggravation...

Cheers!

Hi,
BeerSmith does not modify the color for length of the boil - as far as I know no one's software does. The Maillard reaction that darkens the wort is not well modeled and includes a lot of variables beyond boil time, so I don't have a good equation to simulate it in the program. Further complicating this is the fact that the reaction is much more pronounced for extract than all grain brews. In fact most all grains see little in the way of extra darkening. For extracts, we also have the significant problem of storage - how the extract was stored and for how long often creates significantly more darkening than you would get just from boiling it. So its not as simple as "boiling for X minutes darkens the wort by Y".

BeerSmith 2.2 does have support for unfermentable carbs now - they are correctly handled when calculating FG. It is a new feature in 2.2.

Cheers,
Brad

Back