Monster mill cordless drill driver or AC motor drive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeak

Reaction score
Good Morning.
I recieved my monster mill 2.0 a couple of days ago. I have it put together and i bought feeler gauges last night. I ran a cup full of barley through the thing to help knock off the metal shavings etc. nice crush! i am impressed. I have been reading various posts and i plan on using my dewalt 18V cordless to drive this thing. I see quite a few people make a stand and do an electric motor-pulley set up. Won't the cordless do fine in the mean time? I did see that u have to set the clutch up high and its a good idea to make sure it is turning before you dump the grain. So is it the point of just making a cool contraption to have it hooked to an AC motor system? no changing of batteries?, hands free?, torque? Did you guys start out using a cordless or corded drill and then see a necessity to build the mill station?

Thanks,
Scott

Save your money for other nice stuff. With that said, did you buy the hopper and base they sell? I did and I love it.....dedicate a bucket, place the mill ontop, connect your drill and mill away. I have milled 35lbs with this thing and my drill bever skipped a beat. No need to start before the grain hits...its torquey enough...jst make sure the clutch on the drill is locked.

Good Luck

yeah i bought the 7lb hopper and the base. I am a finish carpenter by trade. I could have and would have enjoyed making the hopper myself. For the price, i couldnt pass up the convienience. I wanted to assemble it and start a grain bill and get brewing. I have a bunch of solid surface drops (sink cut-outs) that i may redo the base later. I was just impressed at the crush and i want to get after it tonight maybe.

I'm sure there are many different variants -

I started with the hand crank. Then the cordless. Then the corded. Then the gear motor.

I just picked up a Crankandstein 2A. Instead of using my new 18v Makita cordless I got for Christmas, I went ahead and picked up this drill. I don't normally buy el cheapo tools, but this one came recommended by several people on HBT, plus the reviews on the site were pretty good. When I emailed C&D about the speed that I should run the mill at, they suggested around 300RPM or less. Since this drill has plenty of torque and maxes out at 550RPM, I think it should do the trick. Plus I found a coupon code for 20% off.

Torque on cordless drills tends to vary with battery age, charge, drill age and other things, I think you will find a corded drill to be the least that you want. A dedicated motor is a wonderful thing, but certainly not a requirement. Luck to you.

I just picked up a Crankandstein 2A. Instead of using my new 18v Makita cordless I got for Christmas, I went ahead and picked up this drill. I don't normally buy el cheapo tools, but this one came recommended by several people on HBT, plus the reviews on the site were pretty good. When I emailed C&D about the speed that I should run the mill at, they suggested around 300RPM or less. Since this drill has plenty of torque and maxes out at 550RPM, I think it should do the trick. Plus I found a coupon code for 20% off.

I received a Monster Mill 3 roller with base and hopper for christmas. The mill works great but I coulden't get my cordless to turn it. i bought that same drill at Harbor Freight last weekend. It works great, plenty of torque. I want to buy one of those surplus low RPM motors though for a permenant mount

Back