Help with 3 Tier System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I have 1 keg now that is my keggle. I also have a 48 quart mash ton. As of right now, I have been batch sparging and have done really well with this, but I want to fly sparge, and want a 3 tier system.

I have 2 more kegs coming to me.

My problem is that I do not want to build an expensive brewstand. Would a simple pump be the best thing to use to get water from a keggle to my MLT? I don't think I can rest 12 gallons of water in a keggle on anything other than a brewstand, and even if I got a ladder for my keggle once I heat the water up 180, would there be anything to withstand the weight and temp?

Sorry, lots of questions in there....

If you are going to use a pump, then you could get away with a 2-tier stand. Have your HLT and MLT on one level and use gravity to drain from MLT to Kettle.

There is a couple of wood 2-tiers around here that would be cheap and easy to build.

I bought a March 809 pump used it once and immediately ordered a second pump. There are lots of ways to save on the cost of a brew stand. I think the biggest saving is in building the stand with >16g mild steel.

Would a simple pump be the best thing to use to get water from a keggle to my MLT? I don't think I can rest 12 gallons of water in a keggle on anything other than a brewstand, and even if I got a ladder for my keggle once I heat the water up 180, would there be anything to withstand the weight and temp?
There are a lot of 10gal brewers using a single pump and no brew stand. You can see some of them by sorting my brewery index by the pumps field and scrolling down to the rows that have "1" under the pumps column. The thumbnails should give you an idea of what kind of stand they are using.

There are a lot of 10gal brewers using a single pump and no brew stand. You can see some of them by sorting my brewery index by the pumps field and scrolling down to the rows that have "1" under the pumps column. The thumbnails should give you an idea of what kind of stand they are using.

Neat site. Man, this one sure looks cool. ;)

179474_10150091927489655_789424654_6024080_4601300_n.jpg

http://w w w.homebrewtalk.com/members/bendbrewer/albums/my-stuff/2441-brewstand-shed-front.jpg

added spaces to show link

Back