My Three Philsopher's "Quasi-Reality" Clone - Methods of adding the Kriek?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I'm going to do a clone with the following:
11lbs Belgian Pale
1lbs 15oz Munich Malt - 20L
1lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose)
14oz Flaked Wheat
8oz Special B Malt
4oz Caramunich Malt 60
4oz CaraVienne

Northern Brewer @ 7.5AA at 75minutes for 30-some IBU's
Wyeast 3787 Pitched at 68'.
8.8% ABV
Primary 65-75ish for three to six days.
Secondary 68ish for three weeks
Tertiary: 60 for two weeks.

Special B, Caramunich and CaraVienna steeped at the end.

So, I'm going to buy some Linderman's Kriek and mix it in. Any ideas on amounts? Do I siphon it in to prevent souring/oxidation, or do I go ahead and just pour it in?

I'm going to do a clone with the follow
So, I'm going to buy some Linderman's Kriek and mix it in. Any ideas on amounts?

Doesn't the bottle say 2% lambic on it?
Assuming this is a 5 gallon batch...
128 oz in 1 gallon...
128 * 5 = 625 oz in 5 gallons...
625 * 0.02 = 12.5 oz of Lambic needed.

Here is a closeup of the bottle saying it is 98% Ale - 2% Ale with cherries added
2999046235_49d41c30d6.jpg

My only thoughts on the putting it in part would be to very gently pour the lambic into your bottling bucket, rack your beer on top of that, gently stir to mix it all up, then bottle. I have no experience adding "beer" to "beer" but this is what I do when I add vanilla extract to my chocolate stouts.

will that potentially leave yeasts in my beer that will referment the sugars in each bottle? if so, how do i add sugar or carb this?

I would assume the yeast from the lambic has consumed all the fermentable sugars from it.

I would also assume that the yeast from the lambic will not do anything to the belgian beer racked on top of it because the abv in the belgian will be greater than what the lambic yeast can handle.

Lastly I would assume you could just prime this with 3/4 cup of corn sugar in 2 cups of water. You want the yeast from your belgian to ferment these sugars to create the carbonation in the bottle.

if you have the capability i would recommend doing the secondary really cold. a bit above freezing. thats the way that Ommegang does it.

will that potentially leave yeasts in my beer that will referment the sugars in each bottle? if so, how do i add sugar or carb this?

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure Lindemans filters the yeast out because it's backsweetened, which WOULD leave fermentable sugar behind. Maybe go for a dry Kriek like Cantillion, just in case. A bit more expensive, but you only need a few ounces of it.

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure Lindemans filters the yeast out because it's backsweetened, which WOULD leave fermentable sugar behind. Maybe go for a dry Kriek like Cantillion, just in case. A bit more expensive, but you only need a few ounces of it.

Lindemans is actually artificially sweetened (the fruit lambics) but I think they are also pasteurized.

As remilard stated, Ommegang uses Lindenmans, so I figured I would too. Although Lindenman's is pasturized, my beer is not, so I can't exactly bottle with the Kriek having sugar in it, can I?

looks like it will be delicious to me, perhaps a bit more sugar to boost the abv if your looking for a more authentic clone.
and also you have the option to experiment with the lambic ratio.
maybe do a couple bottles w. more or less according to your desires; seems like its going to be an excellent brew.

Alright, I bought a bottle of real Three Philosophers last night and I'm brewing this weekend. I'll age it for twelve weeks in the bottle and test side-by-side. Hopefully we'll have a clone to post in the recipe section soon!

You should bring up an old topic...especially if it really is PERFECT.
So now I think you should repost your actual recipe, timeline, etc so we can all learn from your experiment. I'm pretty excited about this, and it's nearly cherry season. :mug:

Kirk

I'm thinking of doing this with a Quadrupel that I have that's basically ready to bottle.

So I would just add the Kriek to the bottling bucket and use the normal amount of priming sugar?

I ended up using 400ml of Kriek and 3.5oz dextrose in a 5 gallon batch. I'll post again when it's carbed up and I actually taste it.

Back