Forgot 10l in Irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmetal

Reaction score
So yesterday I brewed the Irish red in my signature.

Instead of Cara pils malt Belgium (or whatever it is called in the recipe) I was going to mix 50-50 carapils and 10l.

I did 100% carapils and forgot the 10l. Should I steep the 10l in like a quart of water and pour that in the fermentor?

Should I add caramel extract?
I really want the caramel flavor in te beer! The color I don't care so much for

Thanks guys

What percentage of the grist was it? If it was less than 6-7%, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

DO NOT add extract if you don't have to. If you want true caramel, steep it in at least a half gallon and then boil it down to a pint. Not only will you get the caramel character from the crystal, but the long boil will further caramelize sugars.

well the recipe was as follows:

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

so the "7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2"

is where I'm talking about. some say you could do 50/50 with 10l and carapils. I did 100% carapils. maybe I could steep 4 oz of it in a half quart of water and boil it down to like a cup and pour it in?

Well, if you decide it's completely undrinkable, I've got a place to get rid of beer. Just send it my way and I'll dispose of it for you.

Back