Harvesting yeast: Green Flash Brewing - American Barleywine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giligson

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone had a lead on the identity of the yeast at the bottom of this bottle conditioned beer? Any idea if its the brewing beer or a secondary bottle conditioning strain.
Thanks.

Green Flash probably uses WLP001 for their house yeast in their hoppy, American style ales.

I would not harvest yeast from a barleywine, however, as it is probably extremely stressed and unhealthy.

I wouldn't pitch yeast from a barleywine - however if its an interesting strain I may harvest, grow out and store it. of course if its run of the mill 001 (roughly 1056 in Wyeast terms) there really is no point.

I wouldn't pitch yeast from a barleywine - however if its an interesting strain I may harvest, grow out and store it. of course if its run of the mill 001 (roughly 1056 in Wyeast terms) there really is no point.

I wouldn't harvest from a barleywine. If you harvest and store it, you only get the probable mutated strain from the bottle. You could harvest, plate it, grow it up and then ferment a small test batch (1 gal or so).

Back