pruning sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster101

Reaction score
I used brewers best priming sugar, 5 oz for 5 gallons. It came in a kit. I dissolved it and sterilized it in water, let it cool and added it to the bottling bucket, just as instructions stated. However, my beer bottles have only a little carbonation and not quite enough. I conditioned them for 3 weeks at 65 degrees. What can I do to add more carbonation to bottles? Or what can I do to ensure bottles are conditioned.

Move them to a warmer spot 70-75 for faster conditioning. And with 5oz of corn sugar (amusing that's what they gave you) you should have plenty of carbonation. So just move it to a warmer spot and wait it out a bit longer!!

What kind of beer is it? What was your OG?

Some (esp higher grav beers) just take longer. I had a wee heavy take months to carb up.

You might also have uneven carbonation. Check some other bottles, maybe from the back of the shelf, and see if they're REALLY carbed.

It's likely because you're carbing at 65F. Even at 70-75 it can take 3-6 weeks, more or less. So, as stated above, get them warmer and wait a bit longer. I bet they will be carbed nicely after that!

To alleviate the uneven bottle carbing problem, I put the priming sugar in the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it. It results in fairly good mixing without the need to stir.

Its not foolproof, though. I once discovered an uneven carbing problem when I popped open a bottle and I got 8oz of beer in my face.

To alleviate the uneven bottle carbing problem, I put the priming sugar in the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it. It results in fairly good mixing without the need to stir.

Its not foolproof, though. I once discovered an uneven carbing problem when I popped open a bottle and I got 8oz of beer in my face.

That's why I keep my mouth open and near the top when I open. One can never be too careful! :ban:

Back