Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FooFan

Reaction score
I am from the Atlanta area and have wanted to try Pliny for quite sometime now. When I travel around the country I always keep an eye out for the stuff. Just a few weeks ago I was in Sacramento and was dead set on finding some. No luck... every place that I went was sold out. I know the brewery is just a few hours from Sac and they serve it. I just couldn't find the time to make the trip. So I put my foot down and ordered one on-line. It's going to be shipped to my house (will arrive next Tuesday) for only $6.99. Oh yea, and shipping is $17.00!!!!. $25.00 for one 12oz bottle of beer.:)

Anyway. I found what I hope to be a good clone recipe. I plan on making 5 gallons and running a taste test to see how close I can get.

I am sure it will live up to all of the great reviews that I have been reading for quite sometime now.

I'll advise on how the clone turns out.

Cheers
FooFan

I have slightly less than 5 gallons now in my keg. I used the Pliny Pack from Farmhouse Brewing Supply and it was perfect.

I too have not had it but served it at a homebrew club meeting and one guy who has had it said it was really close. I used the recipe online that Vinnie posted.

For future reference, www.morewines.com has it for $4.99. I don't know how much to ship however.

I am from the Atlanta area and have wanted to try Pliny for quite sometime now. When I travel around the country I always keep an eye out for the stuff. Just a few weeks ago I was in Sacramento and was dead set on finding some. No luck... every place that I went was sold out. I know the brewery is just a few hours from Sac and they serve it. I just couldn't find the time to make the trip. So I put my foot down and ordered one on-line. It's going to be shipped to my house (will arrive next Tuesday) for only $6.99. Oh yea, and shipping is $17.00!!!!. $25.00 for one 12oz bottle of beer.:)

Anyway. I found what I hope to be a good clone recipe. I plan on making 5 gallons and running a taste test to see how close I can get.

I am sure it will live up to all of the great reviews that I have been reading for quite sometime now.

I'll advise on how the clone turns out.

Cheers
FooFan

You sure its only 12oz? I thought it came in bombers?

My bad.. I just checked and it's 16.9oz. 4.9oz more than I thought I had on the way:ban:

Also, when I ordered (Monday) they showed 8 in stock. They are now saying "out of stock". Looks like if can be hard to run down even when you have more money than brains.

http://beerdujour.com/recipes/1pliny the elder clone pdf.pdf

That's the recipe you'll want to follow. Make two changes.

-The first hop addition, use Warrior instead. About 2.8-3oz depending on the AA%
-Add Amarillo to the dry hop (don't substitute, add). I would do an additional ounce for the first dry hop, and .25ounce of Amarillo in the second.

Getting your hands on Simcoe is really the only difficult part.

I don't know...

That's a lot of hops! Not sure I could handle having a keg of this.

But it might be a nice beer to make with the simcoe hops I found in my freezer...

http://beerdujour.com/recipes/1pliny the elder clone pdf.pdf

That's the recipe you'll want to follow. Make two changes.

-The first hop addition, use Warrior instead. About 2.8-3oz depending on the AA%
-Add Amarillo to the dry hop (don't substitute, add). I would do an additional ounce for the first dry hop, and .25ounce of Amarillo in the second.

Getting your hands on Simcoe is really the only difficult part.

If you are trying to get closer to what Vinnie is doing now, why not replace the bittering hops with hop extract (Northern Brewer sells it as HopShot)?

As for Simcoe, I bought 2 lbs from FreshHops last week.

If you are trying to get closer to what Vinnie is doing now, why not replace the bittering hops with hop extract (Northern Brewer sells it as HopShot)?

As for Simcoe, I bought 2 lbs from FreshHops last week.

That's the best way, but I didn't want to make it too complicated.

FYI: I still would love to get an accurate measure of the bitterning capability of hopshot from NB. I emailed them the other day asking for the AAU of a given amount of the stuff because calculated bitterness for 5ml isn't a measurement i want to use to bitter my beer. We'll see what they respond with.

Back