Using a small amount from another batch as a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
So i want to start a new batch, just bottled an entire five gallon batch, so i have a fermenter open... but i dont have any yeast on hand and dont have the time to go get some anytime soon... i do have a batch going already... what if i pulled say a liter out of this other batch i have going and used it to start a 2nd 5 gallon batch... it is currently in vigoris fermentation... actully i have a blow off tube on it and was just goign to redirect it into another fermenter... seeing as i get about 6oz of blow off in twelve hours (over the last 48) any thoughts??

If you can wait just a few extra days, you could rack the one you have going now to secondary once primary fermentation is done and then pitch your new batch on the yeast cake.

If you can wait just a few extra days, you could rack the one you have going now to secondary once primary fermentation is done and then pitch your new batch on the yeast cake.

unofrtunatly just started this batch about a week ago, and there was some possiblity of the yeast was gonna die out right off, had a really high OG... took a full 4 days for it to start... then that last week my other batch in secondary come up done and i like to keep both full (i have three fermenters and cylce so i always have one in primary the other in secondary while the other finnishes primary then bottel and have a fermenter open, keeps me in good supply with cider) i will take that into account, i dont have much to lose if i try to do what im thinking just some blow off which i will have dumped anyway... i do thin i have a risk of contamination, of both batches unfortunatly... ill think on this...

Cheers

Back