Should I move it to a warmer room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys

Reaction score
So far things seem to be going OK with the Mr. Beer. Not really what I would call vigerous fermentation, but you can see it's working, basically smells like bread around the barrel. The room tem stays pretty constant. Thermometer in the room was showing 60.8 this morning and 63.0 this evening. Just currious if I should move it to a warmer area as I know they don't put much yeast with the setup.

You don't want it too much warmer than that IMO. The Mr. Beer batches I made tasted best when fermented around 65-67, at least for the first 3-4 days. The ones that went at 75 and above all had an unpleasant taste to them.

If it is obviously fermenting, I'd leave it be and let it stay a little longer before bottling. I never got anything that resembled vigorous fermentation with Mr. Beer yeast but they all fermented just fine. Just give it 14 days before bottling instead of the 7 days they suggest.

I wasn't going to pull it until at least 14 days. I figure I'll let it sit until then and then just keep an eye on it, when it doesn't look like any active fermentation is taking place (don't see active bubbles) I'll pull it at that point.

:
I wasn't going to pull it until at least 14 days. I figure I'll let it sit until then and then just keep an eye on it, when it doesn't look like any active fermentation is taking place (don't see active bubbles) I'll pull it at that point.

plz don't do this... wait for 3days to a week after it looks like active ferm has stopped. if you have a hydrometer use it at this point then again 2 days later if readings are within a couple points of each other then bottle if not give more time until they are.:D

oh yeah welcome to your new love:mug:

Just let it go 14 days. The less you mess with it the better. You do not want to take a chance of infecting it and being it is fermenting at that temperature it will be really good beer. All beer recipes have usually fermented and mostly conditioned within 14 days although more aging is needed it does so in the bottle or keg. A Mr beer batch is so small I do not think using a hydrometer would be a must do item if it ferments in a normal manner. There are a lot of experienced brewers who never take gravity readings and some who only take readings at OG and FG and none in between because they feel it is just another chance to infect the beer and really does not add any useful purpose unless the fermentation has gone badly and they want to determine if the fermentation is finished.

:

plz don't do this... wait for 3days to a week after it looks like active ferm has stopped. if you have a hydrometer use it at this point then again 2 days later if readings are within a couple points of each other then bottle if not give more time until they are.:D

oh yeah welcome to your new love:mug:

That's way too early to be messing with gravity readings and loosing part of what is a very small batch. Leaving the beer on the yeast 14 days is normal and recommended because it needs to condition. I am surprised that after over 1000 posts you would suggest his beer is possibly finished in 7 days?

Rhys - Never used a Mr. Beer, but that temp will be fine, just might slow down the fermentation a little. Biggest lesson to learn is patience, more you have the better the beer will be.
There is a sticky here on Mr. Beer that covers what is good and bad about it, but if you can wait 3 weeks to even taste it, do it. If you like what you get, go bigger and welcome to homebrewing.

Back