Duct from mini fridge to fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowltonm

Reaction score
After searching for a while, I finally am going to ask...I thought I saw that somebody has used a mini fridge as the ice chamber portion of the SOF and used ducting through 2 holes from the fridge to the fermentation chamber. I'm wondering if this is efficient enough, or if the small area of the mini fridge will not be enough to cool the fermentation chamber in this way. Thanks.

I am working on an idea to use a mini-fridge to cool a 4 keg kegerator. The plan is to cut a very large hole in the bottom of the mini-fridge (little 1.7 cf model), put the fridge on to of the insulated box with kegs and let the cold air "fall" onto the kegs. The taps will be mounted on the mini-fridge door.

I have seen designs where they just take the door off the fridge and mate the opening up to a fermentation chiller. There is a lengthy thread around here on the subject.

There are lots of good ideas out there, and just to throw my own out there, you can check my sig for a link to my fermentation chiller :D

If you are wanting to pipe from a fridge to a cabinet that are two ways you can go about it; the easy way and the hard way.

easy: disassemble the fridge and place the cooling coils in your cabinet and the hot coils outside.

hard: use something like propylene glycol (RV antifreeze), some heat sinks, a sump pump, some computer cans, and a transmission cooler, along with some other odds and ends to make your own little glycol chiller. Not extremely complicated, but can get that way fast.

easy: disassemble the fridge and place the cooling coils in your cabinet and the hot coils outside.

This was my initial plan, but yesterday at work I saw the idea of piping in cold air from the mini fridge with a fan so you can still use the fridge to keep the beer cold...just can't find the thread again. In the end, I will have something that works, but I have close to a year before I can build anything so for now I'm brainstorming and torturing myself by constantly thinking about how to do it.

Also, Deathweed, after looking at your fermentation chamber I envision something very similar for myself...it'll probably look like yours if not worse depending on how much money I can throw at the materials, but I really like the idea of using the computer power supply for everything. Right now I have the love controller to plug the fridge into, maybe I'll end up saving that for the keezer a few years down the road.

You idea should work as long as you had enough air flow going through the ducts and you sealed them well enough.

I, like Deathweed, just totally disassembled a mini-fridge and installed it into my fermentation chamber. I replaced the orginal thermostat with a Love controller. Now I just need to install a fan to improve air circulation. I'll post some pics one of these days soon.

Back