kegging without kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I have the oppurtunity to obtain a kegging set up. I already have a small freezer chest that I was going to convert to a kegerator in the future but do not have the time in the near future. I was thinking about kegging my beer and then filling flip top bottles and put them in the refrigerator to chill them. I figured I would keep about 10 or 12 bottles chilled and then clean and refill them as they were consumed. My thoughts are that as long as the beer is pressurized it will be OK since not all commercial kegs are kept cold. Would this work or should I wait until I have the time and money for the kegerator conversion?

Even though you'll have the keg carbonated, the process of filling will lose some CO2 and chilling will reduce the effectiveness of what is left. So, the beer will be ok, just pour flat.

On the other hand, if the price is right, grab it.

You could always get a temp controller for your freezer and just put your system in there with a picnic/cobrahead on it until you have time to do your conversion.

Back