Beer Cheese Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll give you a bit of background on how I got hooked on Beer Cheese soup...

My Wife (to be at the time) and I went with her parents, and grandparents to Disneyworld. While we were there we went to a restaurant called the Longhorn. While we were there we (wife and I) had the soup of the day which was Beer Cheese soup. It was so damn tasty I had two big bowls of it, plus my steak, baked potato and salad. I asked if I could have the chef's recipe and even offered to pay for it. The Chef came out personally and told me that he was very gracious and pleased that I had enjoyed the soup but could not sell or give the recipe. I respected that as it was his concoction and it probably took him along time to get it just right.

So with that I came home and decided to venture out on my own and get/make a recipe for myself. So it is nothing special but it TASTY just the same - HELL AFTER ALL ITS MADE WITH BEER!

INGREDIENTS

4 Tblspn Margarine
1/4 Cup Flour
1tsp salt
1tsp dry mustard
2 cups milk
1tsp worchestershire Sauce
2 cups Cheese (Medium Sharp or Whatever you wish)
1 bottle of Beer (I find that Bass or any English Ale works well)

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt Margarine, slowly stir in flour, salt, and mustard.
Cook over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
Add Milk and Worchestershire. Heat until mixture coats the spoon.
Add the Cheese.

Cook over medium heat until cheese melts. Slowly Stir in Beer (it will fizz up) and bring to simmer.

Cook for about 15 minutes.

It is simple to do and tastes great - I have made it with Beer Brats and it is OH SO TASTY!

This my moms. Its heaven on earth.

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup

1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound grated white cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup warm beer
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish

Preparations

1. In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.

2. Add the red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk.

5. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.

6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.

I made it the other night, and I got 3 bowls out of it.

Jeff, hope you come back...because I have a question.

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt Margarine, slowly stir in flour, salt, and mustard.
Cook over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
Add Milk and Worchestershire. Heat until mixture coats the spoon.
What temp on the milk mixture?? I had it on medium-low for like 10 minutes and there was no consistency change. Due to time constraints, I just went and added the cheese.

Brewmeister Jeff... Since no one lese asked, I will..

How close did your recipe come to the original you were after? or did too many trial and errors pass to remember what the original was like? Or does it even matter?

I love beer, and I love cheese.. So I'm definitely into this idea!
:mug:

I made this the other night. Good stuff. I didn't have an english beer so I used one pale ale and one amber ale (trippled the recipe but reduced the beer). I think it came out too hoppy for my wife. What does she know. She doesn't even like beer.

Back