Question on All Grain Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I have recently aquired a Kettle I am going to convert to a BK. I have a 5 gallon round cooler with stainless braid and a 5 gallon stainless pot.

My plan is to put a bazooka screen, and weldless spigot on the pot along with a sight gage to see where my boil is down to.

I am going to use my 5 gallon cooler for now, I don't brew many "big" beers and I'll struggle along with the stainless pot as an HLT.

Does anybody see any problems with starting this way?

Linc

missing link said:
I have recently aquired a Kettle I am going to convert to a BK. I have a 5 gallon round cooler with stainless braid and a 5 gallon stainless pot.

My plan is to put a bazooka screen, and weldless spigot on the pot along with a sight gage to see where my boil is down to.

I am going to use my 5 gallon cooler for now, I don't brew many "big" beers and I'll struggle along with the stainless pot as an HLT.

Does anybody see any problems with starting this way?

Linc

Hi
Why the bazooka screen in the HLT? Won't you simply heat the water and then simpy transfer it to the tun/cooler?

Looks like a great system.

I've gotten by on similar equipment. The main difference with my setup is I have a 7.5 gallon pot. You may have issues with having enough sparge water, but maybe not...

I see no problems at all other than bigger is better once you find out how good the beer is. :mug:

Sorry, Maybe I mis-typed. Bazooka screen will be in the boil kettle to help drain without trub. HLT will just be a pot for now. I'm thinking and extra burner may be helpful as well.

Thanks for the info guys.

missing link said:
Sorry, Maybe I mis-typed. Bazooka screen will be in the boil kettle to help drain without trub. HLT will just be a pot for now. I'm thinking and extra burner may be helpful as well.

Thanks for the info guys.

You have a system very similar to mine. Although I just added three sanke kegs. But, they are not all ready and it is winter in Wisconsin. So, I mash in the house using my cooler and an aluminum HLT that I heat water in, dump it into the cooler and carry the cooler into the house. Then, when ready to sparge I bring th ecooler outside and finish up.

missing link said:
...Does anybody see any problems with starting this way?

Linc

That's how I started. Get a wort chiller.
InsideSetupA.jpg

Drop the bazooka screen and go with a "hop thing". Search "Lil' Sparky is the man!" your beer will be much clearer, and you won't clog your valve. +1 on the chiller. I'd get that before a new BK. Site gauges are great, but remember, you can get a long spoon and mark increments on it too. Low tech, high effect, and you'll never break it.

Thanks guys.

I have an immersion chiller already and very cold well water to chill with. Water comes out in the mid 50's year round.

I'm thinking the second burner would be an asset as well, though once it's time to boil, I no longer need the HLT.

Back