American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitched the Notty on this a half hour ago. Always loved this beer!

Hit the OG spot on at 1.051 :)

So I made it through 40 pages before my eyes glossed over and I nearly passed out....
Are there any significant revisions to the original recipe? Looking to brew this tomorrow and I just can't finish the last 250 pages....

So I made it through 40 pages before my eyes glossed over and I nearly passed out....
Are there any significant revisions to the original recipe? Looking to brew this tomorrow and I just can't finish the last 250 pages....

I've read this thread off and on for almost 2 years.
Only change I make when I brew (and it's noted in the OP) is I use US-05.

I just tasted mine. It has Munich extract instead of Vienna, Crystal 20 instead of 10, Amarillo instead of Cascade. It's good, maltier than I expected. My wife says it is my best brew yet. (I'm only brewing 11 months, 7 grain batches)

I just tasted mine. It has Munich extract instead of Vienna, Crystal 20 instead of 10, Amarillo instead of Cascade. It's good, maltier than I expected. My wife says it is my best brew yet. (I'm only brewing 11 months, 7 grain batches)

Hehe, so the only ingredient you have from the original recipe is the 2-row?

Munich will make it maltier than vienna. Crystal 20 instead of 10 will make it taste maltier as well.

Oct 25th was the 5th time that I've brewed this recipe. This time, I changed the recipe a bit. I wanted to combine the grain bill of this recipe with the hop additions of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. For an 11 gal batch, I went with:

1 oz Cenntennial 60 min
1 oz Cenntennial 30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.007
US-05

2 weeks primary, 2 days crashed cold, kegged with gelatin yesterday. Beer sample was fantastic!

I'll report once the beer is carbonated.

Just picked up the supplies to do this, it sounds like a great pale ale. I'm new to all grain and accidentally had the lhbs grind and extra 1/2 lb of Crystal 10 (for a total of 1 pound) into this. My suspicion is that I shouldn't worry - but would you recommend I compensate with additional base grain/hops/etc?

I have it sitting in fermenter about 8 days in at 60° and slowly raising temp to 70°. Can't wait to keg it. Might dry hop in keg with .75oz of cascade.

Just picked up the supplies to do this, it sounds like a great pale ale. I'm new to all grain and accidentally had the lhbs grind and extra 1/2 lb of Crystal 10 (for a total of 1 pound) into this. My suspicion is that I shouldn't worry - but would you recommend I compensate with additional base grain/hops/etc?

You probably shouldn't worry. But you might up your hops a little.

You probably shouldn't worry. But you might up your hops a little.

This.
It'll be a little sweeter, darker, and more alcohol. But upping any grains to cut that sweetness will just add to the alcohol and throw more flavors off a touch, but not too much. Relax and go with it...most of us have miscalculated an ingredient at some point. You might like the new beer you created! :) but a couple extra hop pellets in the bittering addition won't hurt.

Great - I like the answers and may toss in a few extra hop pellets, but other than that will go with what I have. Thanks!

I've made several batches of this and haven't used a secondary. Of course, I don't put much of anything in the secondary. But I've seen nothing to make me think it's necessary with this one. :)

This beer takes about 20 minutes to ferment. No idea why you'd want to secondary unless you were dry hopping.

OG 1.042. Not sure what I was aiming for but there it is. I can't wait to bottle. Hey maybe I'll score a good deal on the parts for the kegerator I'm piecing together and might get to go straight to keg.

You were shooting for 1.051. Did you correct your hydrometer for temp? If I were off by ten points, I'd add some LME to compensate. If it's late for that, fear not, it will still be beer, and probably pretty good.

Ah. Well this is my second brew. I need to figure out where I'm slacking. Looks like I need to drink up and try again.

Oct 25th was the 5th time that I've brewed this recipe. This time, I changed the recipe a bit. I wanted to combine the grain bill of this recipe with the hop additions of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. For an 11 gal batch, I went with:

1 oz Cenntennial 60 min
1 oz Cenntennial 30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.007
US-05

2 weeks primary, 2 days crashed cold, kegged with gelatin yesterday. Beer sample was fantastic!

I'll report once the beer is carbonated.

Beer has carbonated, at about 6%, it has nice bitterness and wonderful aroma. If I didn't know better, I would call it an IPA.

Mine is good. Nice and refreshing and easy drinking. It's got some pretty serious chill haze though. I think it's because of letting too much trub into the primary from the kettle, not using whirlfloc, and not getting a vigorous enough boil (didn't use my heatstick on this batch). It doesn't affect the taste though. It's a great beer. If I do this again I'll dry hop to increase the aroma.

new twist, or experiment...

7lbs weyermann Pils
7 Marris Otter
4 lbs Munich
1 lb crystal 20L

1 ou Citra
3 ou Cascade

this is just what I had on hand.. going to split into two 5 gal and see what i get using Notty and 05 to taste the differences...

thoughts?

UPDATE
36 hours in, had to change airlock twice then went to blow off tube,( this yeast is a beast).
11 days in, final gravity at 1,010, now cold crashing, will bottle and sample on Sunday.
Stay posted.

I split a batch between Notty and 05. The 05 fermented to a couple of points lower, it's drier and hoppier.
I served them at Thanksgiving, received wide approval.

Gonna brew this for the first time tomorrow before the temp drops to -5F next week....Damn cold and snow!

This thing ferments like a beast!
Down from 1.053 to 1.007 in 2 days, madness (doesn't hurt that it's 25C here at the moment)

Out of interest, why does this beer ferment so well? (it's better than the 8 other brews I've done in the past). Is it purely a function of mash temp, or does grain choice (or something else) also play a role?

My variables:
64C mash for 75 minutes
1 pkt US05 yeast
25C fermentation temp (I don't have a chamber, so it's in the coolest room in my house)

Down from 1.053 to 1.007 in 2 days, madness (doesn't hurt that it's 25C here at the moment)

Out of interest, why does this beer ferment so well? (it's better than the 8 other brews I've done in the past). Is it purely a function of mash temp, or does grain choice (or something else) also play a role?

My variables:
64C mash for 75 minutes
1 pkt US05 yeast
25C fermentation temp (I don't have a chamber, so it's in the coolest room in my house)

Ha!

I've made it a couple of times with S-05 at 65° and it is always among the most violent fermentations that I have had. I don't have a clue as to why

chalkdust41485 said:
You should just move to Florida! Just got finished with a Saison brewed at 83* without temp control... :)

Thanks for that ;)

The only advantage I have is that cooling wort at this time of year takes about 10 mins. Oh and I didn't get to brew yesterday so extreme cold weather brewing it is !!

I bottled this today, I will say, very tasty, I'm thinking more hops next time, well maybe, I have yet to drink it carbed, but first impressions indecated a lacking in hop presents.
We will see

My variables:
64C mash for 75 minutes
1 pkt US05 yeast

I think it's the highly fermentable wort from the simple, lightly kilned malts and low mash temp. Of course 25C is going to rip through just about anything. Mine went to 1.008 in about 4 days.

I bottled this today, I will say, very tasty, I'm thinking more hops next time, well maybe, I have yet to drink it carbed, but first impressions indecated a lacking in hop presents.
We will see

As far as Pale Ales goes, this one is not super hoppy.

I have half a dozen different craft brews & imports in the fridge, but what am I drinking? You guessed it! Edwort's House Pale. Just a straight up good beer that you want to drink day after day.

I made this a couple of weeks ago with only one minor change. I used Falconers Flight for the 2 late additions. I made this in a 10 gallon batch and dry hopped half with 1 oz. of Falconers. The dry hop version came out awesome. Really nice hoppyness. Thanks for the great recipe Ed!

I was thinking about brewing this one for a quick turn around to keep the pipeline goin cuz I waited too long :smack: I want to brew this as a PM. I read through most of this thread and didn't find much. I particularly wanted to mash some of the 2-row and reduce the amount of DME. Maybe mash 4lbs and supplement with some DME. I don't have a big enough pot, otherwise I would just do this BIAB AG. I don't have much experience calculating strike and sparge water though. Any advice?

Back