Camlock Seal problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fin-lander

Reaction score
Has anyone else come across any off-flavors due to these? The ones that came with mine are black (buna-N I think). I have been getting some off flavors since I upgraded to these fittings. I finally took the seals out today and boiled them in the microwave in a glass for a few minutes. When I cooled the water they were boiled in and took a sip I was shocked! Almost undrinkable.

Obviously I'm switching to silicone seals, but has anyone else come across this problem? Any clue where I can get silicone seals without spending an arm and a leg? I think Mcmaster charges like 8 bucks a pop!

I use them on a system with a counterflow chiller - the seals do come into contact with boiling wort. I will not trust them anymore - but if your system doesn't pump boiling liquids through them, you may be fine.

I have heard others using the seals that came with them as well, but that test I did today made up my mind. Maybe the seals aren't getting as hot on their systems? I couldn't believe what that water tasted like!

I'll be using mine on a Brewtroller/BCS brewery, so there will be lots of 180+ temps hitting the gasket. I'm going to change them.

B

http://www.oringsandmore.com/servlet/StoreFront

Just ordered from them, haven't received anything yet. Others here have used them without any reported difficulties.

thanks for the heads up - I'm ordering my cams today. The big cam-loc thread has some discussion on switching to the silicone.

jason

jason

Can you please post a link to the product you purchased, rather than the store front page? There are so many choices on there.

The folks at Proflow Dynamics now sell some food grade seals, email or call them for pricing and availability.

Can you please post a link to the product you purchased, rather than the store front page? There are so many choices on there.

+1

I plan to just give them a call on Monday. The seals that came with my camlocks are 1 1/16" diameter, I figure I'll see what they suggest. I will probably call proflow as well - at the time I bought these about 6 months ago they had other options, but for the silicone ones you had to buy a crazy amount. They may have better options now however as these things are popular!

I spoke with them this morning and asked. They said the current seals are not food-grade and can add to some off-flavors. She said due to popular demand they have food-grade seals coming in with their next batch in 2 weeks and they will be posted on the website when they arrive.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/servlet/StoreFront

Just ordered from them, haven't received anything yet. Others here have used them without any reported difficulties.

thanks for the heads up - I'm ordering my cams today. The big cam-loc thread has some discussion on switching to the silicone.

jason

jason

On the basis of the other thread, I went ahead and purchased a pack of 25, size 210 in silicone. It was $5.90 shipped.

Are these the same size as those used in weldless tun fittings - those that sit in the recess of the nut?

McMaster isn't too expensive, actually. I got some for my 3/4" camlocks and I think it was <$7 for 10 pieces. It's pretty easy to toss something like this into your order, since Mcmaster is kinda one stop shopping (and shipping is fast as hell!)

A 210 or 211 will fit. The 211 o-ring fits fully in the groove.

211 is what is sold with 1/2" weldless fittings sets.

I think I will start shipping them with these as a standard replacement along with the black gasket.

Latest posts

Back