BIAB partial mash efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neomantra

Reaction score
I gave partial mashing a try via the brew-in-a-bag method recently. I had 1 gallon of water in my smaller kettle for the mash and then 5 gallons in my main kettle at 170.

After letting the grains sit for an hour at ~150 I took the bag and let it drip into the small kettle. Then I took it out and teabagged it a few times in the main kettle. I let it sit in there at 170 for 10 minutes as suggested in DeathBrewer's howto thread. I took the bag out, dumped in the contents of the smaller kettle, stirred everything around for a few minutes and then took a refractometer sample. It read 3.2 brix (1.013 according to http://www.onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml).

Calculating the partial mash efficiency I came up with the following:

Vienna: 2lbs * 37 pts
Flaked Oats: 0.5 lbs * 2.2 pts
Flaked Wheat: 0.5 lbs * 2 pts

Total = 76.1 / 6 gallons = 13.12 PPG

Does that mean I had 100% efficiency? (cuz that seems absurd) Was my refractometer reading off? Is the math wrong? Help :confused:

Flaked oats and flaked wheat are in the range of 33-36 points, not 2.2 and 2. You got more like 73%, given it was mixed well enough, which isn't always the case. Bravo on the step forward

Back