Deal at Costco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cha ngo

Reaction score
SWMBO called me from Costco yesterday. It seems they have a 50K BTU turkey frier with a 44qt 304 SS pot for $100.00. Seems like a deal for anyone with a stainless steel bias looking for a full boil and doing less than 10 gal batches. YMMV.

I just picked this up today. Very nice pot and outdoor burner . Bought it for my HLT setup. Should work..

Went to costco online and found two links you might be interested in..both seem like great deals

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11105862&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1

and (my favorite)

Damn..cannot get second link to work. Just go to Costco.com and type in fryer. There is a couple of "king kookers" that are really good deals with huge stainless pots.

Still cannot beat the deal I got at local swap meet, huge burner and stand for $50. But did not come with the great bathtub of a pot these things do.:drunk:

cha ngo said:
SWMBO called me from Costco yesterday. It seems they have a 50K BTU turkey frier with a 44qt 304 SS pot for $100.00. Seems like a deal for anyone with a stainless steel bias looking for a full boil and doing less than 10 gal batches. YMMV.

Are you sure about the 44 quart? I've never seen a turkey fryer with that large a capacity. 30 or 32 quarts is what is typical. I saw an SS turkey fryer at Costco a couple of weeks ago, but I am sure it was not 44 quarts, so that's why I ask.

Buy 2 and you'll have the perfect day. Brew beer and fry turkey. Nice combo.:mug:

If you have an Academy sports I would check there. I got this about 1 1/2 years ago and its still going strong. The actually burner itself isn't spectacular but it gets the job done without using too much gas. Everything is stainless which I like.

And FWIW, its only 30 quarts, but you can do 5 gallon batches easily. I just don't have a wort chiller.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/grills/fryers&start=8&selectedSKU=0267-40037-0627

0267-02367-0002b.jpg

beer4breakfast said:
Are you sure about the 44 quart? I've never seen a turkey fryer with that large a capacity. 30 or 32 quarts is what is typical. I saw an SS turkey fryer at Costco a couple of weeks ago, but I am sure it was not 44 quarts, so that's why I ask.
No, I'm not sure.
I got my info second hand from SWMBO.
If this is what she saw, I'd say she was mistaken:
frier
I'm going there this morning so I can check it out first hand.

Yeah 44 qt, or 11 gal which ever you like. 50,000 BTU burner as well. Great HLT as a matter a fact, Or boil kettle or mashtun, witha little work.

Wow. That one is not at my Costco. I don't think all the Costco's stock exactly the same stuff. I guess. That's a nice deal for $98.

cha ngo said:
Just as a follow up, I was in my local Costco yesterday and these were going for $79.00 now.

Just given how much a big brew kettle goes for, that's a helluva deal (not even considering that you're getting a burner, too). Is the pot of a decent thickness, or is it real thin?

the_bird said:
Just given how much a big brew kettle goes for, that's a helluva deal (not even considering that you're getting a burner, too). Is the pot of a decent thickness, or is it real thin?
Pretty decent I would say.
Been a while since I was up on sheet metal, but I would guess in the 18 guage range.

Has anyone used this Bayou Classic turkey fryer yet? I went to Costco and the stand looks kinda flimsy. I don't have much experience with SS so I don't know if it's too thin or not. It's not like a keg, that's for sure. Speaking of kegs, would a keggle fit on one of these burners?

If my costco has one, I might buy one mostly for the pot right now, but use the burner for a future homemade brewstand. And my wife is going to costco later today anyways!

Got one on my lunch break.

Guess this means I'm going to start going all-grain!

Rhoob, I'm going to need some help.

Has anyone used this Bayou Classic turkey fryer yet? I went to Costco and the stand looks kinda flimsy

I did my first AG last week using this... I bought a bulkhead from northern brewer, then some copper, a ball valve and a 1" SS braided hose (cut it in half and made a T) from home depot... Worked great..

It seems pretty solid to me, maybe they just hand tightened the bolts on the display one...

Jer said:
It seems pretty solid to me, maybe they just hand tightened the bolts on the display one...

Yeah, I got one and did a batch a couple weeks ago, the display was put together wrong, so it flopped all over in comparison to mine.

Jer said:
I did my first AG last week using this... I bought a bulkhead from northern brewer, then some copper, a ball valve and a 1" SS braided hose (cut it in half and made a T) from home depot... Worked great..

That's good to know.

You're doing AG in an 11 gal pot? Are you topping off when you're done?

I only did a 5 gal batch since it was my first ag...

I haven't figured out what my options are with an 11gal kettle for doing larger batches... I think I'd be happy if I could squeeze 9gal out of it some how..

Anyone see them out west? I stopped by my Costco and didn't see them. :( I'll try another store tomorrow.

Brewsmith said:
Anyone see them out west? I stopped by my Costco and didn't see them. :( I'll try another store tomorrow.

I picked one up a couple weeks ago here in Portland, so they're definitely on the west coast.

I remember seeing theme here in Phoenix, but it was spotty. I frequent 3 Costcos and there is some variation on product and quantity.

Thanks guys. I just have to remember to get the costco card from my wife tomorrow, so they'll let me in the door. There's a costco right by my work, but that's 35 miles from home. Can't just go back to get it!

I almost bought that one Bird. It's really heavy duty too and only about 100 bucks. The only reason I didn't was because I wasn't sure what my AG setup was going to be and we drove the Matrix...:eek:

I may go back for it one day!

:cross:

And check out the BTU's.

I finally found a turkey fryer at costco, but it only had a 32 qt. stainless pot. The price wasn't bad, but the pot size isn't what I want. I think I'll hold out for one with a bigger pot, like the 44 qt. You guys still see them at your costco?

Brewsmith said:
I finally found a turkey fryer at costco, but it only had a 32 qt. stainless pot. The price wasn't bad, but the pot size isn't what I want. I think I'll hold out for one with a bigger pot, like the 44 qt. You guys still see them at your costco?

They had like 20+ of them at mine. See if yours will order one from another store.

orfy said:
I am soooo jealous.

I had to pay $60 for a single 29000btu burner!:eek:

Pounds or dollars?

I'm not too upset with my purchase. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the valve welded on though, because some day I may want to fry a turkey or chicken in it and I'm pretty sure the seals won't do well in a hot oil environment.

No, I'm not sure.
I got my info second hand from SWMBO.
If this is what she saw, I'd say she was mistaken:
frier
I'm going there this morning so I can check it out first hand.

yes... 44 qts.. I bought mine a couple years ago from Costco and it's huge!

I've lost my directions, so I can't remember how big of a turkey it can handle. I need this information so I can order the holiday bird and not under/over do it.

Anyone???

ubergeeken,

i have this same pot and am also a bit curious, I searched around the web and didn't find much??? Eyeballing my pot across the room from me I'd guess an 18-20 pounder would work. Any bigger than that, and I would say you better take the pot w/ you when you go turkey shopping.

Back