How long will a growler keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I stopped by the Fifty Fifty Brewing Co. yesterday on my way down the hill from Lake Tahoe. They had this beer on the board called "Concentrated Evil" so of course I had to try it. WOW!!! 11.5% ABV, but very smooth and tasty. I left with a growler, but I'm wondering how long it will last. My home brew club meeting is next week, and I'd like to share it with everyone...but I'd hate to wait a week to drink it just to have some flat beer. When I got the growler home, I tightened down the cap as tightly as I could and put it in the fridge. How long will a growler keep? Should I keep it around till next week, or finish this puppy off this weekend?

EDIT: Brewery web site: http://www.fiftyfiftybrewing.com/

I'd be more concerned about it getting oxidized than going flat- they're pulling those puppies right off the tap. A week is feasible, but it won't be 'peak'.

Drink that beer yourself, and get a new growler for the meeting. :)

My experience with growlers is that you should drink it fairly quickly. If the brewery purged the growler with CO2 prior to filling it, then maybe it would last more than a day or two. Otherwise, it seems like oxygenation is going to happen in 24h or less. But that's just been my experience... ymmv

I'd be more concerned about it getting oxidized than going flat- they're pulling those puppies right off the tap. A week is feasible, but it won't be 'peak'.

Drink that beer yourself, and get a new growler for the meeting. :)

Oh yeah, I didn't think about oxidation at all. I wish I could get another growler for the meetings, but that brewery is about 2.5 hours drive :(.

Ya it will keep if you don't open it. I bottled a growler for a gal and she kept that thing for 3 weeks without opening it and she said it was still carbonated

When is the Chico home brew club meeting?
Date and time? I might be able to make it, if its this next week.
JJ

Ya it will keep if you don't open it. I bottled a growler for a gal and she kept that thing for 3 weeks without opening it and she said it was still carbonated

When is the Chico home brew club meeting?
Date and time? I might be able to make it, if its this next week.
JJ

I'll keep you posted, but it's usually at 6pm at the SN Brewery on the first thursday of every month. Right above the gift shop on the landing outside the Big Room. I'm not sure about the location because there was an "incident" last meeting. Someone from the meeting walked out with a glass of homebrew into the parking lot and someone thought they drove home. Ken Grossman has been very nice about accomodating the brew club for free for many years, but there may be a liability issue here.

Here's the official club news on the "incident":
Due to an incident that occurred after the October meeting, and after meeting with Ken Grossman, the Officers of the Chico Home Brew Club are in the process of drafting bylaws and codes of conduct. Our meetings at SN are temporarily suspended until Ken has consulted with his insurance, and we have a mutually agreeable set of bylaws/COC and the proper releases of liability. The officers are working in earnest to complete this prior to the November meeting. Information on next months meeting will be posted on the web site, forum and emailed as timely as possible.

Ya I heard about it from a member. What a FK'en A$$ hole (it wasen't you was it?) Just kidding I know it wasen't you. The guy is a fairly new member wasen't he? and fairly LOUD from what I hear. Ya keep me posted as to the location or "IF" you all are even going to have one this month.
Cheers
JJ

Once you crack it I would think you would want to drink it within 2-3 days. Similar to a bottle of wine.

Ya I heard about it from a member. What a FK'en A$$ hole (it wasen't you was it?) Just kidding I know it wasen't you. The guy is a fairly new member wasen't he? and fairly LOUD from what I hear. Ya keep me posted as to the location or "IF" you all are even going to have one this month.
Cheers
JJ

Dawn just emailed me and said there WILL be a meeting at the normal time, but it will either be at Sierra Nevada or at Pete's Pizza across the street. When she knows, she will send out an email to everyone. I'll make sure to post back when I get word. Hopefully you can make it...I still need to buy you a beer :mug:.

Once you crack it I would think you would want to drink it within 2-3 days. Similar to a bottle of wine.

Well, I haven't cracked it yet...but they did fill the growler from the tap. I'd really like to share it, but don't want to waste a growler full of "Concentrated Evil".

I bought a growler that I left in my fridge four about 4-5 days. Didn't open it at that time but when I did open it the beer was pretty flat. Tasted good though.

It was a Oatmeal stout from Lilly's in Royal Oak, MI by the way.

I bought a growler that I left in my fridge four about 4-5 days. Didn't open it at that time but when I did open it the beer was pretty flat. Tasted good though.

It was a Oatmeal stout from Lilly's in Royal Oak, MI by the way.

That settles it! I'm drinking the first pint now...and I don't know if I'll make it to pint #2. At 11.5%, this is getting me buzzed pretty quickly. I've finished 1/2 a pint and I can already feel the evil concentrating in my veins. Woohoo, happy Halloween!

I hope you finished the whole thing yesterday before Halloween was over!!! You cannot allow evil that concentrated to be out, think of the children!!! :)

I hope you finished the whole thing yesterday before Halloween was over!!! You cannot allow evil that concentrated to be out, think of the children!!! :)

THE WHOLE THING???? Oh man, I got two pints in me of 11.5% concentrated evil and I was done! It was very good though, they said they used actual raisins as an adjunct. Very tasty, although I'd have to say for a strong ale North Coast's Old Stock Ale is better. I'm going to try to finish off the growler tonight, but there's about 2/3 of it left :drunk:. Guess I'll need to recruit a friend or two :tank:.

Back