Current Events Shows?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
These are the shows that the talking head has a panel of 2+ "experts". They all spend their time trying to talk louder than they other guy. Heaven forbid that one of the "experts" has a point (especially from the counterpoint) the host then will change topics.

Do any of you find these shows even remotely entertaining? Personally I can't stand them and refuse to watch. I think the whole premise of these shows is to make the expert from the counterpoint look like an idiot or to make the talking head look like a genius. (Or both)

You notice I didn't call it a news show.

Thanks,
Chris

I think the whole premise of these shows is to make the expert from the counterpoint look like an idiot or to make the talking head look like a genius. (Or both)

The point is to rent eyeballs to advertisers (or underwriters, but same thing).

There are a few current events discussions that are thoughtful, reasonable, civil and available by podcast.

The Economist' "Democracy in America", NPR's Left Right and Center, and Diane Rehm's Friday Roundup (one hour of domestic and one hour of international). Listening to DR makes me crazy but the guests are excellent. Oh, and Washington Week (the audio portion of the tv show) is podcast also.

My favorite pundit is probably Tony Blankley; he's like a less affected William F. Buckley for the current century and has appeared on the LRC and DR shows listed. I disagree with Tony frequently, but respect his opinions deeply and would love to have him over for dinner and homebrew.

Do you remember the SNL skit making fun of Firing Line where John McLaughlin yelled at guests, telling them what they ate for breakfast?

JM: <shouting> What did you have for breakfast?
Guest: Cheerios.
JM: <shouting>WRONG!!! You had Wheaties.

or something like that.

My favorites are Deface the Nation and Meet the Depressed, or Press the Meet, which ever you prefer.

Latest posts

Back