lets talk about water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so.. were all planting our hops this year. I might be going a bit hog wild with 90 plants but o'well here I go into the abyss. how much water do these little devils need??
I am puting them on a drip system and a timer
JJ

Holy creepers jaybird "90" plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope someone post up on this one cause I was just wondering the same thing!:D

Going out on a limb here (no pun intended). BUT with just about any type leafy fruit bearing plant it or herb. It is always better to water at the base. There are lots of good ways go about this:

1. A drip hose buried (my favorite)
2. A pvc hose with holes in it buried as well.
3. A bucket or coffee can (3lb job) with holes in it about 3 inches from the bottom sunk in the ground root level and filled. (good method if adding somthin like jobes plant food or miracle grow.)

JMHO...

Almost forgot.. I know nothing about hop growing but can some one tell me / us if direct repeated watering cause spots and promote fungus?

I'm no expert, but I think it will depend mostly on your environment. If it is in an arid area with good draining soil, I would think it will take quite a bit. When I lived in SoCal, I had a garden on drip irrigation and watered it twice a day for like 10-15 minutes. It's best to water in the early morning and the late evening. Less evaporation that way and a little stress (not a lot, just a little) on the plants in the heat of the day actually makes them grow better.

Now that I'm back in the south, things are more humid and I plan on watering once every other day until the temps get above 90*F. Then I'll water more.

Jaybird said:
so.. were all planting our hops this year. I might be going a bit hog wild with 90 plants but o'well here I go into the abyss. how much water do these little devils need??
I am puting them on a drip system and a timer
JJ

According to the book I'm reading.....
Light continous intervals rather than a couple of heavy waterings.
They can log water, and develop disease...yes.
If you're planning a system, then 3 times through spring
and ramp up to 5-6 times in the heat of summer. The duration
time the watering stays on will be according to your soil retention/drainage.

hope that helps.....
I'm planting around 65 myself.
What's your trellis design? Classic V, vertical ?

Back