New guy looking for info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie Lager

Reaction score
Hello all,

let me get right to the point, I'm in a Technical Writing class at my local community college and our current group project is to write "A beginners guide to Home Brewing." So far I have found tons of info through google and wikipedia, but now I'm looking to get info strait from the source! Do you guys (or gals) have any, or know of any great info as far as equipment lists, or detailed process?

The info will be put to good use. The reason our group chose this topic is we plan on brewing some beer for the end of summer 08, maybe even go later with an Oktoberfest. Either way the info is for school but as well as getting all of us started off on the right foot!

Thanks!

Erik :mug:

Rookie Lager said:
Hello all,

let me get right to the point, I'm in a Technical Writing class at my local community college and our current group project is to write "A beginners guide to Home Brewing." So far I have found tons of info through google and wikipedia, but now I'm looking to get info strait from the source! Do you guys (or gals) have any, or know of any great info as far as equipment lists, or detailed process?

The info will be put to good use. The reason our group chose this topic is we plan on brewing some beer for the end of summer 08, maybe even go later with an Oktoberfest. Either way the info is for school but as well as getting all of us started off on the right foot!

Thanks!

Erik :mug:

That's awesome. You couldn't have picked a better place to garner info from. The thing about homebrewing is that there is always something more to learn. People have been brewing beer for thousands of years and we have only just begun to scratch the surface of what there is to know.

Just look around and ask as many questions as you want. You'll find that homebrewers tend to be a pretty laid back and forgiving bunch and we're always eager to share what we know. Keep a sense of humor about you, though.

Cheers:mug:

eddie said:
That's awesome. You couldn't have picked a better place to garner info from. The thing about homebrewing is that there is always something more to learn. People have been brewing beer for thousands of years and we have only just begun to scratch the surface of what there is to know.

Just look around and ask as many questions as you want. You'll find that homebrewers tend to be a pretty laid back and forgiving bunch and we're always eager to share what we know. Keep a sense of humor about you, though.

Cheers:mug:

Thanks. And once I get some better formatted questions I wont hesitate to ask, I dont want to end up drinking horrible beer because I was shy.

As for the sense of humor...Lets just say I grew up with guys who consider Millwaukies Best Ice a "good beer":drunk:

In terms of sources, Palmer's How to Brew is the standard introduction to homebrewing. It's how I got my start; same with a lot of the people here.

In the eight years since that edition was published, though, new methods have been pioneered and rediscovered, some orthodox assumptions and techniques have been reexamined, equipment and ingredient availability has changed, and all that standard sort of evolution/fashion in the hobby. So, if you want to go a bit more in depth, check around (here and elsewhere) for things like first wort hopping, skipping secondary fermentors, 30min mashes, late-hop bittering, and a host of other popular brewing issues.

Good luck!

Kai

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to people here! I've received some great info and help. My only regret is I didn't find this forum sooner!

Thanks again

Erik

Good luck and have fun with that project. You'll find more information here and on other sites than you can imagine!

Keep in mind, though, that brewing is as much a craft as anything else. While we use a great deal of information and data to form a protocol and measure certain performances, there is no single, correct way to brew beer or even achieve the same result.

Oh, there are a lot of wrong ways to do things, but no single, correct one! :)

TL

There are a few locals on here so if you need/want to check out the brew process that could probably be arranged also.

Back