Oktoberfest screw-up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeragent

Reaction score
I did not have as good a brew day as expected. I brewed a standard all-grain Oktoberfest recipe. First off, I just moved into a new home, and the new oven only got my wort to about 210 degrees. The boil was barely moving. I figured I might as well continue and cooled the wort to about 80 degrees before pitching the yeast (Austin home brew supply directions stated to pitch the yeast at this temperature). So two questions, will the almost non-existent boil kill any decent flavors left, and will pitching the yeast at such a high temperature totally ruin this beer? I have a fridge which has temperature control which I will lager it in.

I did not have as good a brew day as expected. I brewed a standard all-grain Oktoberfest recipe. First off, I just moved into a new home, and the new oven only got my wort to about 210 degrees. The boil was barely moving. I figured I might as well continue and cooled the wort to about 80 degrees before pitching the yeast (Austin home brew supply directions stated to pitch the yeast at this temperature). So two questions, will the almost non-existent boil kill any decent flavors left, and will pitching the yeast at such a high temperature totally ruin this beer? I have a fridge which has temperature control which I will lager it in.

Pitching yeast @ 80F is nuts. The instructions actually said that? All I can tell you is to get the temp down to proper temperature ASAP and hope for the best.

Yeah, their recipes are basically the same for lagers and ales. The only difference is the temperature for fermentation. I've brewed dozens of their ale recipes and had great results, but after reading about lager temperatures, I thought the temp was too high. But according to some reviews on their site, following the directions still results in a good lager. I guess at this point, I might as well follow through with the directions and hope for the best.

Pitching that warm isn't the best idea, but isn't necessarily a killer. What kind of yeast was it? Try to get the temp down if you can.

The thing I would be most concerned about is the boil issues. Without a good, strong boil, there is chance that you will see some DMS issues in the finished beer, if you are unfamiliar it has a taste that is usually described as 'cooked corn' or 'cooked vegetables'. It is really too soon to tell if that is going to happen. Just need to wait it out, but don't stress yourself in the meantime.

Back