yeast package exploded - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allgrainpa

Reaction score
pitched 1 package of WLP001 yeast to 5 gallon batch for sierra nevada pale ale clone. Yeast exploded and didnt get all of the yeast into fermentor. It took almost 12hrs to start burping. Is it OK to pitch another package of WL 12-16 hours after the original pitch of yeast. Im afraid attentuation will be low with the yeast i currently pitched.

Sure it's okay but if fermentation started there is really no need at this point and 12 hours is not a huge amount of lag time. I would say the yeast replicated quite well during those first few hours as evidenced by the shorter lag time.

I will add though that if you continue to use liquid yeast you should be making starters so as not to be underpitching your beer, which you did this time around.

Go to http://www.yeastcalc.com and plug in the numbers of your batch and date of the yeast as well as OG and you will see the pitch rate needed.

Had you made a starter you would not have needed to start this thread:) IMO, no worries!

Latest posts

Back