2.5 and 3 gallon kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a couple of smaller corny kegs but I'm not sure if I will have a use for them. I brew 5 gallon batches and don't intend to use two kegs for one batch. What else could I do with these kegs?

Bottle half a batch, keg the other half. That's what I do, only I have to waste a ton of space using 5-gallon kegs.

I'm in the same boat as you and I have one 2.5G keg. I use it quite frequently for portable beer...I use a beer out to beer out jumper line to transfer beer from a 5G keg to it.

I could use it at a local growler store. Rig up the beer in line. Bring it in sanitized and purged. Bleed pressure as it fills, in a counterpressure method.

Put regular water in it, carb it up, mix with flavored syrup for your own soda.

Split your batches and do experiments. My favorites are split batches identical with two different yeasts. Or you could sour one, or you could dry hop it differently, add fruit. That way, if you don't care for the final product, you only have half a batch to pawn off on your friends. Also, you can learn the differences in different yeasts, hops, etc.

I can always use more smaller kegs. I like to experiment or split stouts (half co2 half nitro). actually going to be purchasing more soon. Only have 2 but I want at least 2 more.

Latest posts

Back