IPA recipe look over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
This will be my first all grain IPA that I developed myself. What do you think?

CP's 804 IPA:

11# pale 2 row
1.25# Crystal 60
1.25# Munich 10
.5# flaked oats

Mash at 154 for about 90 minutes
Batch sparge

Boil for 90 mins.

1oz Warrior @ 60mins.
1oz Cascade @ 30mins.
1oz Cascade @ 15mins.
.5oz Cascade @ 10 mins.
1oz Cascade @ flame out

Yeast - WLP001 - California Ale

Whirlflock tablet at 10 mins.

OG - 1.069
IBU - 70.1
SRM - 11.0

Thanks!

Is that five gallons? If so, I'd cut the crystal in half. I've never used oats in an IPA, and it might give you one heck of a haze. I've used Simpson's Golden Naked Oats, though, with great results.

If you want an IPA, I think you need more late hops. I'd hop more like this:

1oz Warrior @ 60mins.
1oz Cascade @ 15 mins.
1oz Cascade @ 10mins.
1oz Cascade @ 5 mins.
1oz Cascade @ flame out
1-2 oz cascade dryhop for 5-7 days

I don't see the need for a 90 minute boil, but it won't hurt to do one if that's your routine. Mashing at 154 is too high, especially with that much crystal! You want a quaffable beer with a relatively low FG, so if you're making an IPA mash at 150 (if keeping all that crystal) or no higher than 152 if ditching the crystal malt.

Five gallons is the plan!

I read on here that a 90 min. boil helped things out, but I can easily swap that back to 60!

For the hop schedule, does adding Cascade at 30 mins. effect the hop?

For the crystal, I wanted some head retention and a little body, but is 1.25# too much?

Thanks!

Five gallons is the plan!

I read on here that a 90 min. boil helped things out, but I can easily swap that back to 60!

For the hop schedule, does adding Cascade at 30 mins. effect the hop?

For the crystal, I wanted some head retention and a little body, but is 1.25# too much?

Thanks!

Hops added at 30 minutes increase the IBUs some, but you get no hops flavor or aroma out of them. An IPA should have lots of flavor and aroma (in addition to the firm bitterness) so using more hops later in the boil is a key.

My favorite IPAs have no crystal malt, but I have some that use a bit. Up to a pound would be ok if you really like a sweet finish in an IPA, but I'd suggest using no more than .75 pound in a 13 pound grain bill. With a high mash temperature and all that crystal, you risk being "thick" and cloying in the finish.

Hops added at 30 minutes increase the IBUs some, but you get no hops flavor or aroma out of them. An IPA should have lots of flavor and aroma (in addition to the firm bitterness) so using more hops later in the boil is a key.

My favorite IPAs have no crystal malt, but I have some that use a bit. Up to a pound would be ok if you really like a sweet finish in an IPA, but I'd suggest using no more than .75 pound in a 13 pound grain bill. With a high mash temperature and all that crystal, you risk being "thick" and cloying in the finish.

Ahhh ok, gotcha on the hop schedule. Now do the two hops I selected work well together?

I've only mashed at 154 as I thought that lead to a good compromise of body and fermentables. If I left the Crystal at 1# and lowered mashing to about 152 at 90 mins. (dropping to 150 for heat loss) lead to good results?

Thanks!

Back