Bottle a few and keg the rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacenwaves

Reaction score
Has anyone tried bottling a few beers , for portability, and kegging the rest?

I was thinking about bottling 10 or so, and then either naturally carbing or force carbing (kinda am torn on which method would work best for what I want to do) the rest...

I figured if I naturally carb it, I can just prime the whole batch and be done with it (unless you need less sugar for a keg)...

If I force carb it, can I just add a tiny amount of boiled sugar water to each bottle before siphoning into them? if so, how much should I use per bottle?

Im fairly new to this, so I apologize if any of these are dumb questions haha...

Thanks so much!!

Pour carbonated or uncarbonated (w/ drops) beer from the keg tap to the bottle. Lots of threads on this.

For individual bottles you could use carb tabs (little pill/lozenges that are basically premeasured sugar designed for carbing bottles).

I agree with using the carb tabs. It's the easiest way to go. I usually brew 5.5 gallons, keg 5 gallons & bottle the last 1/2 gallon for competition entries.

I do whole batch one way or the other.

I guess you could measure 2 gallons or so and prime accordingly, bottle that, and then add the other 3 gallons.

Either way, I bottle from the keg even when I prime and bottle 5 gallons. The c02 makes everything easier.

Chances are that you have all the items needed (except maybe a small stopper) to make the DIY beer gun in the DIY section. I keg all of it and then use that method to bottle a 6er if I want to take them anywhere.

thanks guys! I went out and got the stopper and will try that method! Seems like I will have clearer beer too! How long of a shelf life do you get out of your bottled from keg beers? I picked up some of those O2 absorbing caps to try to extend it...

I'm getting ready to buy kegs but am had some similar thoughts about losing the portability of bottles. Then I thought why not just buy a few growlers and use those when you want to take beer to events outside the house?

Latest posts

Back