Use only the juice from cherries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrennert

Reaction score
I'm planning on using 10# of fresh cherries in a stout that just finished primary. My plan was to heat the cherries from frozen to about 165*, mash them up in the pot, strain off the juice, and toss that juice into secondary after it cools. The question is, Will the juice alone be enough to flavor the beer or will i be missing out on something by not using the 'meat' of the fruit?

I think it would make life easier to not have to shove all those cherries down the neck of a carboy, and worse yet, get them out!

I don't have any experience with cherry juice stouts. However, I recently drank a kriek that had cherry juice added to simulate a long secondary on cherries. It tasted very medicinal and like garbage compared to the real thing. My 2 cents.

I guess I should have read you last paragraph more carefully. Fruit in glass carboys can be a challenge. I avoid fermentation in plastics, but I make can exceptions for things involving whole fruit. Go to you LHBS and get a 6-gal plastic fermenting bucket.

On another note, you might find that the fruit may come out easily from a glass carboy if you use a coat hanger with a 1/2" 90 degree bend in the end of it.

Puree and put them in a mesh bag, that my opinion. Cherry skins completely screw up my auto-siphon.

I've never used just juice, but I've done both a RIS and a wheat on whole cherries. I just destemed, froze 'em, then threw 'em in the carboy. Came out great. Also, as previously mentioned, don't heat them-it'll not only drive off some of the flavor and aroma, but it could give you a "cooked" fruit taste.

Whatever route you go, good luck and happy brewing!

I made a stout with 5# of wild cherries from my backyard tree in June. I froze them for a week and then thawed them before the brew, crushed them to a slurry, then added the pits, skins, juice, and all to the primary after the boil. It's been in bottles for about 10 days but I was tempted to try one last night, mmmmmmm! When it's finished it's gonna taste like cherry pie!

Is the general consensus that stouts are the best style of ale to brew using cherries? I have a tree with sour cherries that are unpleasant to eat but are great for making pies. Any suggestions as to what style of ale I should go with?

I used 10 pounds of frozen cherries once that I just tossed in right after flameout and kept them in until I racked to secondary. This was in a pale type ale though but I have often thought that it might work well in a stout.

My cherry ale turned out very good by the way. So good, I am keeping it for special occasions only.

Try a Kriek, that is the perfect style for sour cherries.
Is it true that you can't make a lambic with your normal brewing equipment because the lambic yeasts are too difficult to get rid of once you're finished?

Just don't use anything plastic and if you do use it only for wild brews and bacteria and you'll be fine. If you do that route it would be good to read up on the sanitation involved anyways .

Just don't use anything plastic and if you do use it only for wild brews and bacteria and you'll be fine. If you do that route it would be good to read up on the sanitation involved anyways .

Hmmm... well, a Kriek it is then. Thanks Dann

Back