CO2 tank valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
Quick question about CO2 tanks.

I am going to be buying one from a fire extinguisher place in town here, and would like to know if I need to order a special valve for it, or if it is a standard valve they generally come with?

I have a regulator here my Dad gave me, and am picking up some used kegs in town tomorrow. I will be buying the disconnects and a picnic tap from my LHBS. I am asking about the actual valve on the tank, which the regulator connects to.

The LHBS sells a CO2 tank, but it is more expensive than the one I will be buying (and also is empty, I will be getting mine filled).

Is there a special valve I will need to ask for, or do all CO2 tanks come with the same standard valves?

Thanks!

An important thing to ask is if the tank has a siphon tube. If it's a fire extinguisher it probably has one. If it has a siphon tube it will feed liquid co2 into the regulator and promptly damage it.

If it's just a gauge that measures the pressure of the gas in the tank, you won't know how much pressure you're putting into your beers. You'll need a separate gauge to measure that. For the cost of a new regulator ($35-$45), you may want to spring for something that gives you some precision.

Latest posts

Back