Making Vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
I have a half gallon of raw cider that was supposed to be for drinking, it sat around too long in the fridge and the jug became firm. I opened it to relieve pressure and take a whiff..... Vinegar! I love cider vinegar for bbq sauce, how can I foster this along? I'm confused because I thought acetobacter turns alcohol into vinegar, but this didn't have any alcohol in it. I can assume fermentation would have kicked off naturally, then the vinegar-part would have started, but there was no sign of fermentation to begin with, the pressure only just now started to build... vinegar.

Do any of you make vinegar? What should I do to make it good vinegar?

I have a half gallon of raw cider that was supposed to be for drinking, it sat around too long in the fridge and the jug became firm. I opened it to relieve pressure and take a whiff..... Vinegar! I love cider vinegar for bbq sauce, how can I foster this along? I'm confused because I thought acetobacter turns alcohol into vinegar, but this didn't have any alcohol in it. I can assume fermentation would have kicked off naturally, then the vinegar-part would have started, but there was no sign of fermentation to begin with, the pressure only just now started to build... vinegar.

Do any of you make vinegar? What should I do to make it good vinegar?

I don't know for sure, as I never made it "on purpose". but my understanding is the same as yours, that alcohol was needed for the aceterobacteri to convert it to acetic acid.

I've seen "mothers" for sale in the LHBS.

It may have been actively fermenting prior to an infection with acetobacter. I think you might find that you are doing both at the same time.

I didn't taste it, it smelled like vinegar.

The "same time" theory holds water.... that's acceptable. Although, I fermented a batch of this intentionally (already consumed... it was a quick sweet batch) from the same pressing and had no issues.

Because this jug had been opened and drunken from, it would not surprise me if it was lacto or something else. It's the distinct smell of cider vinegar that makes me assume that's what it is.

in my humble opinion, vinegar and home brew cannot exist together in the same brewery for obvious reasons! Pour the 'vinegar' out in the distant woods!

Back