Campden Tablets & Potassium Sorbate When Back Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy_B

Reaction score
I am doing my first batch of cider, it fermented out to 1.006 from an OG of 1.055. I gave it a taste today and would like to back sweeten with apple concentrate for more flavor. I went to the local brew store and they sold me campden tablets and potassium sorbate, but had no recommendation on how much of each to use (they said it would be different from what's on the package, since those instructions are for wine?). I made a 19L batch and it's still sitting in the primary (I used a better bottle). I am just wondering how much of each to add, when to add, and should I transfer to another carboy as a secondary or just leave it in the primary until I keg it?

Personally, I dont recommend using campden/sorbate to stop/stabilize cider, because it leaves a noticeable chemical taste. But it does work. Rack to secondary to get it off the lees, add half the wine dosage of campden first, make sure it is mixed well in the cider and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then add the regular dose of sorbate.

Or, since you are kegging, if you are using an ale or wheat yeast you can cold crash it to get the yeast out of solution. That is a little more work but the taste is worth it IMHO

Would filtering with a Buon Vino wine filter before adding the concentrate work? It has pads with 6, 1 or .5 micron filtering capability

Would filtering with a Buon Vino wine filter before adding the concentrate work? It has pads with 6, 1 or .5 micron filtering capability

Theoretically yes. This has been discussed on the forum, although I dont think anyone has actually tried it yet (or at least not reported back on how it went). If the cider is still fermenting and/or cloudy, you would want to cold crash it first to get it relatively clear, otherwise you will use up a lot of filters

Sounds good. I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer, I guess that is why. Cold crashing isn't really an option for me right now, so it looks like it will be the campden tablets and potassium sorbate. Thanks

Back