Any homebrewers in Belgium?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently relocated to Leuven from the US. So far I am quite enjoying it here, but it seems like the homebrew scene is pretty bad! Only one store in Belgium and they won't send me crushed grains -- I have to buy a grain crusher! Some stores in UK will but they charge $25+ to mail any package under 25KG, also not good. It would be nice to meet others that are into the hobby and perhaps are willing to pool orders together to avoid these costs. Or, if you have tips on other ways to get supplies without spending a lot of money :)

Thanks!

I don't speak Dutch, but it is interesting rummaging through those forums to see what they're brewing.

"Een IPA met 90% munichmout kan gewoon niet slecht worden hé."

Indeed.

Hi all,

I recently relocated to Leuven from the US. So far I am quite enjoying it here, but it seems like the homebrew scene is pretty bad! Only one store in Belgium and they won't send me crushed grains -- I have to buy a grain crusher! Some stores in UK will but they charge $25+ to mail any package under 25KG, also not good. It would be nice to meet others that are into the hobby and perhaps are willing to pool orders together to avoid these costs. Or, if you have tips on other ways to get supplies without spending a lot of money :)

Thanks!

We have an English speaking expat group called Belgium Studs....we basically use it as an excuse to get together and drink beer and BS a bit every friday in Stockel.
http://belgiumstuds.com/lunch.htm stop by and meet some of the guys.

We have a couple guys that are into home brewing, and one who wrote a book about belgian beer and maintains a beer blog. You can get all the info you want on a Friday or by emailing them.

thirsty pilgrim blog http://www.thirstypilgrim.com/

here's my personal email if you want more info
[email protected]

I've been living near Mons for the last 3 years but I'll soon be gone. I order everything from the States for brewing. Since I am military I don't have to pay any import taxes and I have a U.S. shipping address so the shipping rates are minimal.

If you find a Dutch speaking forum to post on, I am sure you will get lots of help. I have never met anyone who speaks Dutch (or Flemish) who wasn't more than happy to speak English.

Wow, thanks for the help everyone. I suppose I should have not said the scene "seems bad" but rather that I am too dumb and non-Dutch speaking to find stuff on my own :)

Blue - you can have it. Even though I am going to miss the beer scene, I am glad I am finally out of here. I grew up in FL and can't get adjusted to the lack of sunshine here. I get really really depressed in the winter. It will be dark when I go into work and dark when I drive home (not just dark but pitch black), so if I don't go out side for any reason midday, I won't even see daylight for a few days.

I can't wait to lose all this Belgian weight.

I've been living near Mons for the last 3 years but I'll soon be gone..

SHAPE ?
I knew a guy who worked in Mons, wife & me would always joke there goes ***** as we drove back and forth past Mons.

I agree about getting dark early during the winter but you have to say it sure stays light during the summer nights.
:mug:

Blue - you can have it. Even though I am going to miss the beer scene, I am glad I am finally out of here. I grew up in FL and can't get adjusted to the lack of sunshine here. I get really really depressed in the winter. It will be dark when I go into work and dark when I drive home (not just dark but pitch black), so if I don't go out side for any reason midday, I won't even see daylight for a few days.

I can't wait to lose all this Belgian weight.

In Pittsburgh we get 60 days of sunshine a year, so moving to Belgium might actually be an improvement! I can definitely relate with the whole "dark driving into work, dark leaving work" experience too, it happens every winter here too for me. It'll be just like Pittsburgh, but with much better beer!

Hi all,

Thanks!

I buy most of my supplies at Brouwland (http://www.brouwland.com/en/). They have a great staff there, and if you order online your supplies will be on your doorstep in 2-3 days. The shipping prices are really reasonable as well. They have a somewhat limited selection of grains though which has caused me to look around at other options. There is a malterie in my area called "Castle Malting", in Beloeil (http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingSite.asp?Language=English). The problem with the malterie is that I don't like to buy in such large quantities (60 kg minimum purchase). I have also befriended a few local brewers who have offered to sell me some of their grains, or simply mill grains that I bring them for free.

What brought you to Leuven? Let me know if you are interested in doing some homebrew exchanges!

:mug:

Dan

I like to ride my bike in a park out that way called Mere de Sable (spelling?)

Do you mountain bike?

Keith,

I do own a mountain bike; not sure what I do would be considered "mountain biking" though.... I'm more into pedaling from town to town frequenting the various cafes. I've never stumbled across Mere de Sable. What town is it closest to? I'll have to check it out when it warms up a bit.

Dan

Mer de Sable is in Stambruges, I believe. It's out by Beloeil. I follow the signs for Beloeil when heading to the park from Chievres. It's a really nice park with some pretty decent single track spread throughout it.

As far as mountain biking, here in Belgium VTTs are a must. Those are organized mountain bike rides hosted all over the country every Sunday (and some other days). Nothing like doing a 50k ride and then tossing back some local beer. Every town that hosts a VTT is, as I am sure you are aware, pretty proud of their local beer. so there is lot's to drink after the ride. Sometimes even free samples at booths along the way.

For schedules see here
http://02bikers.com/agenda.asp?pageID=124&countryID=1&first=true

Back