Alabama Homebrew Legalization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the following message from Rep. Mike Hubbard's office:

Dear Constituent:

Thank you for your e-mail to the Office of Speaker Mike Hubbard regarding your support for House Bill 354.

We are pleased to report that House Bill 354 was passed out of the House of Representatives by a vote of 44-33 today, and Speaker Hubbard voted in favor of the bill. HB 354 now goes to the Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact Speaker Mike Hubbard's office. We encourage you to remain engaged in the legislative process and in issues that affect our state.

Sincerely,

Boone Kinard
Policy Analyst
Office of Speaker Mike Hubbard

We are pleased to report that House Bill 354 was passed out of the House of Representatives by a vote of 44-33 today, and Speaker Hubbard voted in favor of the bill. HB 354 now goes to the Senate for consideration.

sorry i tried to find the answer in the thread but it got too long with updates, can someone provide a cliffs notes of what has happened? what will the passed bill legalize and what are the chances of getting it through the senate? good luck

http://www.wtvm.com/story/17797798/alabama-house-passes-bill-to-allow-home-brewing

I like the comment that it would be a bad influence on kids in the homes were beer/wine were made. I am of the opinion that if we educate our children about the proper use of alcohol they won't be so inclined to start drinking at a young age. I knew where all of the alcohol was in my parents house and never had a desire to touch it. My mom even told me, "If you want to try something let us know and we'll give it to you here. Where you are safe and there's no need to have to drive afterwards".

Congrats Alabama. One step closer.

sorry i tried to find the answer in the thread but it got too long with updates, can someone provide a cliffs notes of what has happened? what will the passed bill legalize and what are the chances of getting it through the senate? good luck

I listened to the afternoon session. It was pretty frustrating but was typical politics.

There were enough reps that were going to vote for the bill to pass it, but the antis tried to filibuster buy presenting stupid amendments. McCutcheon would ask if they would vote for the bill if the amendment was passed, they would say no. Amendment would be tabled and voted on. This happened three times before the bill finally went to vote and was passed.

We were painted as alcoholics, child abusers, and overall bad people.

If you have some time, go to the Alabam Vote thread, there is a running commentary...

There are some real dumbasses in the Alabama house...

http://www.wtvm.com/story/17797798/alabama-house-passes-bill-to-allow-home-brewing

I like the comment that it would be a bad influence on kids in the homes were beer/wine were made. I am of the opinion that if we educate our children about the proper use of alcohol they won't be so inclined to start drinking at a young age. I knew where all of the alcohol was in my parents house and never had a desire to touch it. My mom even told me, "If you want to try something let us know and we'll give it to you here. Where you are safe and there's no need to have to drive afterwards".

Congrats Alabama. One step closer.

I wonder why they think that crappy beer and cheap booze would be a better influence on the kids. If it's about alcohol, it's cheaper and much easier to get some without brewing it yourself. Also, does anyone think there will be a lot more home brewing when it is legal?

I wonder why they think that crappy beer and cheap booze would be a better influence on the kids. If it's about alcohol, it's cheaper and much easier to get some without brewing it yourself. Also, does anyone think there will be a lot more home brewing when it is legal?

Absolutely. There are likely to be a LOT more simply due to the fact that a lot of people won't do something illegal to being with.

Then add in the fact that people will be able to safely advertise their hobby with others without risk of prosecution.

Back