Yeast sort of storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesutton3

Reaction score
I ordered all my grain bill and yeast from an online retailer earlier this week and it is scheduled to be delivered Friday. The yeast is a WYeast smack pack. The kicker is I will be out of town Thursday night until Sunday morning. The temps for Friday and Saturday are predicted to be 90-92. The package will be sitting under a covered carport/patio type area and will not be in direct sun. Will I have a dead yeast pack when I get home Sunday or should things be OK?

(cringes), It's iffy. I don't think the yeast will be totally dead but they'll be hurtin IMO. Definitely plan on putting them in a starter so they can replenish their numbers. I personally would start with a 500mL starter and step it up to 2-3 liters at high krausen.

Could you get a neighbor to bring it inside their house so it would at least be at room temp?

Could you get a neighbor to bring it inside their house so it would at least be at room temp?

+1 This would be a very good time to either (a) get friendly with a neighbor or (b) see if your OHBS could delay your shipment till next week (if it won't delay your brew day).

Back