priming sugar conversion: cups to ounces - is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
hi everyone,
i had posted a topic about carbonation irregularity a few weeks ago and received many kind replies.
the most mentioned pointer was to measure priming sugar by WEIGHT instead of volume to account for settling.

after bottling a 4 gallon rauchbier today, using my scale, i went with 3.6 ounces by weight of corn sugar. this was quite more than the half a cup of volume that i would normally use.

in 'brewing classic styles' i just noticed that jamil has a chart for calculating carbonation based on weight, and it looks like i went a bit over,
IE HALF A CUP OF CORN SUGAR (4oz) does NOT equal 4 OUNCES of corn sugar.
true?

any help?
any advice?
did i screw up royal?

if so, can i just put my beer in the fridge when it hits a good carbonation level to save myself exploding bottles?

thanks always,
ed

I noticed something similar when I started weighing my priming sugar. I also noticed that my problem of undercarbed beer went away! FYI, in addition to weighing, it also helps to measure in metric. Its so much simpler!

Since you used 3.6 oz by weight, I think you'll be fine. I don't even bother trying to measure it by volume anymore and my beer is better off for it. I used to prime with 3/4 cup and always had undercarbed beer - so I checked with a scale and found that with the corn sugar that I usually buy, 3/4 cup is barely 4 ounces.

Back