Grain Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Looking to brew a simple IPA (Dead Ringer NB recipe)this weekend. Missing one ingredient and since it is a spur of the moment thing, won't have a chance to get the grain.

Calls for
22lbs of 2row
2lbs of Crystal 40 <---missing this.
Have the hops and yeast.

I know roasted malt and crystal malt is different. However, can I achieve close to the same taste by toasting some 2row at 350 for 20 minutes or so? I also have a good amount of Vienna, I know it's not a substitute but could work nicely.

Looking to brew a simple IPA (Dead Ringer NB recipe)this weekend. Missing one ingredient and since it is a spur of the moment thing, won't have a chance to get the grain.

Calls for
22lbs of 2row
2lbs of Crystal 40 <---missing this.
Have the hops and yeast.

I know roasted malt and crystal malt is different. However, can I achieve close to the same taste by toasting some 2row at 350 for 20 minutes or so? I also have a good amount of Vienna, I know it's not a substitute but could work nicely.

Crystal has a high amount of non-fermentables. Vienna has a small amount.

I would consider this:

20 lbs of 2-row
4 lbs or Vienna

And mash 2F higher than the prescribed mash.

MC

2# of C40; +.010 OG, +.003 FG, +10° SRM
2# of Vienna; +.011 OG, +.003 FG, +2° SRM

You can do Vienna instead. You'll have a touch more alcohol but you'll lose the Crystal color and flavor.

Actually I was digging through my reserves and found 2lbs of C60 and a lb of C20. Going to do a lb of each. Works out perfect in beer smith.

Back