Share one or two of your all-time favorite recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyKlein

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a relatively new brewing recipe website named BrewItAgain. It's a social brewing recipe site where anyone can add, comment on, and rate recipes. Its better than the other sites out there; since people contribute, you can easily judge the quality of the recipes.

I'm trying to populate the the site with a fair amount of recipes. If you guys wouldnt mind, please take a second and share a favorite recipe or two. There are two ways to share:

1. Post the recipe directly on the site. Its easy. You can even import multiple recipes from BeerSmith and ProMash.
  2. Post the recipe in this thread. I will copy the recipe over to the site. Make sure you include a description of the beer, batch size, hop schedule, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help!

It would be nice, if you could require recipes to input things like the hop formula used for calculating IBUs, and efficiencies (not on all recipes). Additionally, batch size is a vague term, is that post boil amount or into the fermenter amount? A problem with recipe modification is that there isnt a standard and you always have to adjust. The more info the better.

Another problem is that you have included some recipes from this site, which is great, but the benefit of people getting, say Biermunchers Black Pearl Porter recipe here is that they can post questions and he, or someone else who has brewed it will answer. Not sure how that will work unless he posted those and actively follows your site as well.

I get what you are trying to do, and thinks its a good idea. Just don't want people posting unknown recipes, or not providing enough info and then not being able to answer questions on it. If not monitored, the recipes could get out of hand quickly and not be useful. You kinda get what I am saying?

I already share my all time favorite recipes on here, why would I would I share it on a site where, a) I don't know you from Adam, and b) I have no emotional connection to your website, and c) I already share my recipes on the largest, most active homebrewing site on the planet, with over 40,000 members called Homebrewtalk.com, with one of the largest vetted recipe databases around.

Its better than the other sites out there; since people contribute, you can easily judge the quality of the recipes.

Like I said above ours is one of the largest VETTED databses around. We police to make sure these recipes have actually been brewed, and aren't someone's experiments, AND you can you can easily judge the quality of the recipes, by people's comments.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but why would we do so on your site, when we already have all that and more, right here?

It would be nice, if you could require recipes to input things like the hop formula used for calculating IBUs, and efficiencies (not on all recipes). Additionally, batch size is a vague term, is that post boil amount or into the fermenter amount? A problem with recipe modification is that there isnt a standard and you always have to adjust. The more info the better.

Another problem is that you have included some recipes from this site, which is great, but the benefit of people getting, say Biermunchers Black Pearl Porter recipe here is that they can post questions and he, or someone else who has brewed it will answer. Not sure how that will work unless he posted those and actively follows your site as well.

I get what you are trying to do, and thinks its a good idea. Just don't want people posting unknown recipes, or not providing enough info and then not being able to answer questions on it. If not monitored, the recipes could get out of hand quickly and not be useful. You kinda get what I am saying?

brettwasbtd, Thanks for the thoughts. All good stuff! My initial thought while building the site was to make it as easy as possible for people to post. I didnt want it to take 20 minutes for someone to post a recipe. That said, the further I get with the site, the more I think it could use a little more structure for the reasons mentioned above. Moving forward I think I might try to work towards that.

Revvy, I totally understand your point. I guess it isnt for everyone. The reason I made the site is because forum's arent really the greatest way to categorize and organize recipes. Its a good way to post, get, and give feedback for a single recipe. But if you want to browse recipes, you have to admit, it kinda sucks. I'm just trying to give the community another option.

Revvy, I totally understand your point. I guess it isnt for everyone. The reason I made the site is because forum's arent really the greatest way to categorize and organize recipes. Its a good way to post, get, and give feedback for a single recipe. But if you want to browse recipes, you have to admit, it kinda sucks. I'm just trying to give the community another option.

You think organizing recipes by the bjcp method of categorizing recipes by style isn't the best way to organize them? :confused:

You must be doing something wrong Randy, because, I have no problem browsing recipes on this site, asking questions, AND giving feedback.

Are you actually looking at our Recipe Databse, and not the recipe/ingredients section of the forum, which are two separate animals?

Ya, I utilize the Recipe Categories we have here at HBT with no problems. Pretty simple and I can rank by top rated or most posts (which generally lead to a good recipe). Like I alluded to before, your site could become a great resource over time, but its hard to justify switching when we have a good thing going over here.

Randy-

I have to go with the others here that I like having the recipes sorted by BJCP categories. Looking at your site, it's not immediately apparent where you'd find, for instance, brown ale recipes. Also, what about hybrid styles? I don't see anywhere to list them.

I like that once you are in a category on your site, you can filter the recipes by type, OG and rating. FG is not really needed for a filter in my opinion, but it's not hurting anything. It would be nice to see a filter for IBU range as well. These are things that are lacking in HBT's recipe section.

Like brettwasbtd mentioned, I often sort the recipe section by number of posts to look for a good recipe to begin with. This isn't always for the best, because I'm sure I'm missing out on some great recipes that just haven't gotten a lot of discussion. An idea for your site might be to have a weighted measure for rating that takes into consideration the number of reviews.

I think you have the beginning of a good recipe site, but you are really going to have to offer something substantially better than this site (and all the others) to get people to really contribute.

I already share my all time favorite recipes on here, why would I would I share it on a site where, a) I don't know you from Adam, and b) I have no emotional connection to your website, and c) I already share my recipes on the largest, most active homebrewing site on the planet, with over 40,000 members called Homebrewtalk.com, with one of the largest vetted recipe databases around.

Is it just me, or do these types of posts seem to come up more and more often in the last couple months?

Randy-

I have to go with the others here that I like having the recipes sorted by BJCP categories. Looking at your site, it's not immediately apparent where you'd find, for instance, brown ale recipes. Also, what about hybrid styles? I don't see anywhere to list them.

I like that once you are in a category on your site, you can filter the recipes by type, OG and rating. FG is not really needed for a filter in my opinion, but it's not hurting anything. It would be nice to see a filter for IBU range as well. These are things that are lacking in HBT's recipe section.

Like brettwasbtd mentioned, I often sort the recipe section by number of posts to look for a good recipe to begin with. This isn't always for the best, because I'm sure I'm missing out on some great recipes that just haven't gotten a lot of discussion. An idea for your site might be to have a weighted measure for rating that takes into consideration the number of reviews.

I think you have the beginning of a good recipe site, but you are really going to have to offer something substantially better than this site (and all the others) to get people to really contribute.

Thanks for the thoughts jburk! Definitely some great points. I initially wanted to keep the categories to a minimum to make it easier to post, but the more feedback I get the more i'm realizing that I need to make the switch to the BJCP categories. I plan on doing that in the near future.

Just a quick follow up to some of the discussion here... We have made the switch over to BJCP style categories. Thanks again for all the comments.

Latest posts

Back