priming sugar amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo615

Reaction score
hey guys, i recently brewed an extract kit and today its time to bottle. my only question is, my kit came with priming sugar and it did not specify whether or not it is corn sugar or table sugar. I got the kit from northern brewer its their scottish /80 kit, so i was wondering if anyone knew what type of sugar it was, or better yet the amount that i need to mix in

I've never ordered from NB so I can't say for sure what their priming sugar consists of, but you probably got a 4-4.5 oz. package of it.

You'll want to bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add the 4-4.5 oz pack of priming sugar, stir until dissolved, then boil it for about another 5 minutes or so. Afterwards, you will need to let it cool to 80F or below then put it in your bottling bucket and siphon your beer into your bottling bucket on top of it - this will mix the priming sugar with your beer.

Then bottle, cap, wait 3 weeks and drink! :mug:

thanks for the advice! they gave me a 5 oz. package of it, so do you think i should use the whole package or just go with 4 - 4.5 oz?

Beersmith puts the carbonation level for Scottish./80 at 1.5-2.3 volumes. The midpoint of that would require less than 2.5oz of corn sugar at a temp of 60F.

I am not telling the OP not to use the whole packet. I am advising that kits come with 5oz of dextrose for kit-assembly logistical reasons, not because it is correct for a particular kit's style.

Back