Fermentation temperature question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharres

Reaction score
Does fermentation raise the temp of the beer? I brewed my first batch on Wednesday. I cooled the wort and pitched the yeast at 70 degrees. It took about half a day to start showing signs of fermentation and a full day before it was going good. I have been monitoring it and noticed that after it started going good, the temp seemed to have gone up by 3 degrees (F). I didn't change the temp in the house (we keep it at a steady 71-72 degrees), so I don't think that was what caused the change in temp (although I could certainly be wrong). In checking earlier this evening, I noticed that it had dropped by a degree. The temps, both starting and through the rise have been well within the range specified on my tube of yeast and all signs are that it's working fine, so I'm not terribly worried about it, more curious than anything else.

Yup, the technical term is exothermic. Just like compost gets warm--biological activity (and the breaking of molecular bonds) releases energy.

Thanks! I kind of figured as much, however, I hadn't read that anywhere so wasn't sure. For future reference, if this exothermic reaction should cause the temp to raise outside of the range listed for the yeast what is a good way to cool the fermenter without disturbing it, or is it that important? I ask because I've read that if it gets above the recommended range, it could cause bad flavors in the beer and I don't want that! I'm guessing that lowering the ambient temp won't do a whole lot of good unless I significantly lower it, which is not really an option as the family won't really put up with living in the cold just for my beer. :)

Latest posts

Back