Always Use a Blow Off Tube...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought 3 brandy new 7 Galln Carboys thinking that I would be fine for my Primary's as my older 6 gallon Carboy's hardly ever had any Blow Off issues. Well, this morning I checked out my Abbey Ale that was pitched on Saturday night. Nothing really happened until Sunday evening before I went to bed (Didn't let my Yeast sit in the starter long enough.) This morning, I had Blow off in my poor Air lock. No time to screw with that at 4:30 in the morning. So off to work I go. Got home around 6ish and opened the Pantry door to find "Blow Off Specks" almost everywhere. :rockin: No biggies, but it surprised me as I brew 5 gallon batches and it was in a 7 Gallon Carboy. Huh...:confused: Anywho, I threw some Star San together and I sterilized another air lock. Took care of the issue, and the Abbey Ale is still ah' Rockin'!!!:mug:

I had roughly the same reaction when I brewed a Dubbel. I never saw so much blow off. I just rigged a tube with the airlock and had to keep in on there for 3 days.

i have an abbey ale going right now. 5 gal batch in a 7.5 gal bucket. pitched the yeast at 10pm. next morning it was chugging away happily. came back from work 8pm the next day, and airlock was foaming at the mouth. quickley scrambled to put in a blowoff tube. took the airlock off for a minute tops, and it burped almost to the ceiling, lid was swollen like a zit. im sure it would have been alot worse had i not replaced the airlock with a blowoff tube. Anything with an OG over 1.070 i will always use a blowoff tube now.... or atleast have it on standby

Brewed a Victory Hop Devil clone form Austin Homebrew. The fermentation was evolving CO2 so fast the airlock couldn't keep up and blew the lid off the bucket. The lid was found 6' from the bucket.

Belgian yeasts seem to have the highest krausen of any yeast strains. It stays around for a long time too.

No kidding, I blew the lid off a bucket twice when my Abbey was rockin a month ago. Didnt have any problems with the English Pale I did but will be using a blow-off tube when I do my Wee Heavy in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back