3 Months on primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Beer 3 months on primary with no secondary. About to bottle what do you think? Make a difference with leaving it in the primary that long?

I might make a little difference but I wouldnt worry about it. Search Autolysis

I'll save you having to look...

How to Brew said:
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

It really depends, what kind of beer is it?

It's an ESB and I just finished bottling it. It tried a glass (you know for quality control :) ) and it tasted great. I am super anal about sanitation and have never had a problem. I've made this batch the last 3 times so im looking forward to trying the end result to see any differnces forsure but for now it tastes great

Thanks for the info on Autolysis

CHeers,
Grimmy

If it tastes great, and you don't notice anything "off" then you're fine. Autolysis is supposed to taste absolutely terrible, and there's no way it would be able to hide behind the flavor of your beer. It would be purely putrid. If you don't have this, then you don't have autolysis.

That being said, 3 months in the primary is a little too long for me. I'd keep it a month, maybe a month and a half tops in the primary before I would switch over to secondary. Of course, I've never aged a beer that long, so I just keep everything in the primary and then bottle after 3 weeks or so.

From what I've heard of autolysis, you'll know it when it happens because of the god awful smell coming from the primary.

I don't thinks it's all that common. At least I hope not since I have some brew that's been sitting on yeast for a while now and won't get to it until the long weekend.

Latest posts

Back