Yeast starter question. Won't have time to brew how to keep for another week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgable

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter this morning before work for a brew I was planning on making this Sunday. Now it looks like my weekend will be too busy.It hasen't kicked off yet was wondering if I should refridgerate it now or wait ? Or should I just let it go untill next weekend. I have it in a flask with tin foil on top.

You can let it ferment out completely, then refrigerate. When it's time to brew, you can pour off the spent wort, and then let it warm up to room temperature and pitch it. Or, if it will be a while before you use it, add a mini-starter size to it to "wake it up".

i say let it do its thing. if you won't be able to brew until the weekend after next (10 days) then you could let it ferment until tuesday, decant the beer on top, and then pitch another wort on it. that way you'll have a nice big healthy yeast cake to pitch on your brew. if you just let it ferment and don't use it until you brew it'll be ok, too.

Back