More questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
I have two meads going now. The first one from the kit I got, and I making some Joe's Ancient.

I was given the ok to take over a closet that we have in the house. So I moved everything there. The Temp is about 1 - 3 degress cooler ( 67f to 70f) and I have noticed that my kit mead's air lock has stopped bubbling again and the Joe's has slowed down considerably.

Do you think that the temp is too cold? Should I put in a heating lamp or such?

I Shouldnt keep opening the bucket to check on the kit mead, should I?

I know you guys have told me to relax and have patience, but I love the smell that the two are creating, so I look in and smell when I walk bye. Then when I see no activity, I get nervous...

Or should I just lock the door and not even look in there for a couple of more weeks?

Thanks
Don "Ho"

Ok, point taken. The door has been locked and instructions given to not let me in there until next month, when I will be making another batch..

Thanks

be careful. i went through a phase of a mead a month. all of the sudden I have cases of mead that has to age for 6-12 months. I am still drinking some of the mead I brewed in the previous century.

Ok, left it alone until today. The joe's is still going strong, but the other one still has nothing. So I popped the top and measured the SG and the hydrometer went to the bottom. With only 3 gallons it really didnt measure it right. I will need to get a long clyinder to measure it correctly.

But there was no sweet smell. It didnt smell good.

What can I do, what did I do wrong. Or should I take Joe's advice and take up another hobby!!:confused:

Don "Ho"

Ok, I don't think you get it. Put that jug in the closet for 6 months and forget about it. No peeking, no tasting, no touching, no posting about... just let it go. If the hydrometer went to the bottom, that means the specific gravity is low - no sugars left in there. Thats good. No sweet smell is fine.. if its dry now you can always add sugars later.

Ok, door is locked, wife has the key. I will not look at it again until the first racking which should be next weekend.

OR are you suggesting to leave it longer than that? If so, then I will leave it alone until its time to check the Joe's recipe.

Thanks

Don "Ho"

Back