Fruit Juices to Prime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
So I was thinking...

We have all these flavors we like in beer and I see recipies adding fruit in the mash, boil, and secondary.

BUT what if I wait until I Keg? (I do eleven (11) gallon batches)

What if I went of to WholeFoods or some other "natural market" and got a half gallion of juice:

1. Grapefruit
  2. Cherry
  3. Pineapple
  4. Apricot
  5. Peach
  6. Your fruit here...

Poured it in and used it as my priming sugar?

"SCREW" all the messing around with whole fruit or purees.

I would think that even if it had "some" preservatives; that they would diluted enough not to have much effect on the yeast in a 10-11 gallon batch of beer.

I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to basic brewing podcast on that very subject,) maple syrup and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

Wouldn't that make your beer really cloudy?

Not really.... everything sort-a settles out anyway...

Even my Hefeweisens become "Crystals" after a month in the Keezer.

I just recently kegged a Kolsch that I cold crashed and it was still cloudy... but lately it is pouring clearer and clearer...

Also; It depends on the style.....If you are making a Cherry Stout.... no one will see it anyway.

DPB

Usually the only preservative used in packaged juices is Vitamin C. Won't hurt your yeast and will prevent oxygen-related staling in beer. You can also use frozen concentrates.

I primed a batch of honey wheat with frozen pineapple concentrate and it worked pretty well but the pineapple flavor wasn't really strong.

I primed a batch of honey wheat with frozen pineapple concentrate and it worked pretty well but the pineapple flavor wasn't really strong.

Ya.. that is sort-a my question... can I expext for flavor.... another option is to add the kind of "extract" they seel at health food stores in addition... I have seen cherry and blueberry.

DPBISME said:
Ya.. that is sort-a my question... can I expext for flavor.... another option is to add the kind of "extract" they seel at health food stores in addition... I have seen cherry and blueberry.

I assume you'd get more flavor from some fruit juices more than others. Once the sugar in the juice ferments out to carbonate the beer it changes the flavor so you could enhance it a bit by adding extract but I wouldn't go overboard with it.

Back