A couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabber

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my equipment to come:ban: and was wondering afew things. I notice alot of people use only blow off tubes, so is this the best or will I be fine with my airlock. I ordered a starter kit that includes a 6.5gal fermenter(plastic bucket) and will be brewing 5gal batches. My first beer will be a cherry wheat and the second an Irish red ale. I don't want to make a big mess unless I have to.:) Will I have enough head space in the fermenter and be alright with the airlock?

I can't wait to get this rolling! I've wanted to do this for along time and when I found out my buddy was brewing I just had to start! He will be helping me through my first boil.

Thanks,
dabber

You'll probably be fine with your airlock. Most bucket fermenters are actually more like 7 gals--I think I've only had an honest-to-gosh blowoff from a bucket once, and that was repitching a big beer on a big yeast cake, so it was expected.

Happy brewing!

If you have a three piece air lock you can make a quick blow off tub if you do run into trouble. Look and see if your siphon tube will fit, mine does!

cweston said:
You'll probably be fine with your airlock. Most bucket fermenters are actually more like 7 gals--I think I've only had an honest-to-gosh blowoff from a bucket once, and that was repitching a big beer on a big yeast cake, so it was expected.

Happy brewing!

Yeap, repitching onto a yeast cake is the only time I've had to use a blow-off, and I ferment in 6.5g carboys.

I use a 6.5 gallon bucket for my primary.

I've only had problems with wither krausen rising into my airlock or, my latest misadventure, blowing the lid clean off the bucket when I did a 5.5 gallon brew and my O.G. was above 1.040.

On a bucket fermenter, the easiest way to do a quick and dirty blow off tube is to stick the bottling tube that came with your kit inside the smallest hole of the airlock. Then put the other end in a pan of sanitizer.

I'm still working on a good way to install a larger tube into the plastic lid without compromising the strength of the lid and have it not cost more than purchasing a new glass carboy.

My last batch blew the lid off twice and I didn't even make a starter for it, but that's rare. You should be cool , and if you run into any problems, stick you siphon hose in the airlock hole in the bucket and run the other end down into a pan of water.

Back