Flour in Boil Kettle - Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt17

Reaction score
On Saturday I did my 4th AG BIAB, I use the 5 gal paint strainer bags from Home Depot. For this batch I had my LHBS run the grain through the mill twice, (I heard that with BIAB you can mill the grain finer to improve efficiency). There was an awful lot of flour in the grist, but, I went ahead anyway. When the mash was complete & I removed the bag from the kettle, there was an awful lot of flour floating in the wort. Will boiling the flour cause any problems with this beer?

No, it will be fine. The only minor concern is that by milling it very finely, you will pulverize the husk and thereby get it into your boil. Boiling the husk of grain will result in an astringency that you can detect in the back of the throat.

However, I don't think this will be a problem for you. Don't worry, it's going to be great.

It will settle out and be just fine. This is inherent in BIAB.

Some of the really brainy people say that the dusty wort will cause the beer to have reduced shelf life over time, but that's not something I know from experience.

Thanks for the responses; I think there might have been some small husk particles in the boil as well. Follow up question; would switching to a conventional mash tun with vorlauf & batch sparge make better beer than BIAB? My BIAB beers have been ok, nothing special.

Back