How was your first competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I entered the Schooner homebrew competition for the great lakes brew fest that was going on in Racine, WI. I haven't gotten the judging sheet back yet, but I know I wasn't in the top 3 out of 28 in the American pale ale category. I was just wondering what peoples' experiences were the first time they entered. How did you place and score, how good did your beer taste before and after the results lol, what did you learn, and anything else.

Thanks for sharing!

I think I entered two beers into my first competition. One got third, the other didn't do as well, but I still had a decent score. The notes were right on for the flaws that were present and I learned a lot about off flavors from really sitting down with that beer. I really appreciated the notes.

I got debacled (thanks, Emmitt Smith :D) in my first competition. The beers I sent weren't all that great and I knew it, but the score sheets I got back were completed terribly. Thankfully I didn't let the results of that competition deter me from entering others.

I won my first with a hefe that was too estery, but I guess the judges didn't mind. Much better result than I expected.

My second comp., with a IIPA, placed third. I thought that would do better, actually.

These are GREAT learning experiences, especially if there are BJCP judges that will talk to you about your beer.

These were small 10-entry club competitions. Much better chances at these things. But then, hey, everyone's a winner at those meetings!

I pulled down a third place entry from my first competition. I knew it was a really good beer so I went ahead and gave it a shot.

I entered an AIPA and an APA here on HBT in an unofficial competition. I got no prize, but some good feedback (not great feedback, though, as some of the judges could not be bothered to describe their tastings too well). The feedback I got basically mirrored my own opinion and pointed me in the direction I should look for improving my beer.

I also entered that IPA in a local homebrew competition and it took 3rd place. The BOS was another IPA. The only other IPA entered out of 15 beers. I got a couple of cool prizes and some gratification, but no written feedback. I got to talk to one of the judges during the beerfest and all I remember is that he said they all noted that the beer was "clean". Maybe I had too much beer that day to remember, or maybe he did... Or both...

Anyway, the brewmaster said I coudl talk to him and get some feedback directly, so I should probably head over there soon and talk to him about the competition over a few pints.

The win was bonus, because I really only wanted someone else's feedback. What I've got has been nice, but I think I could have done better in the feedback department. That is why I've entered a problem beer in the HBT competition. There was only room for one beer, and so I chose the one with an off-flavor that seems to be more common for me. I have an idea I know what is coming and if it turns out true, then I have something to work with. Otherwise, I may have more than one thing to think about.

I'll be using these to improve my beer and at some point will have improved enough to enter seriously, just for fun. Remember that oftentimes, the top beers are all great beers, and sometimes it just comes down to how many judges preferred that one particular beer that day. At the local competition, the Brewmaster said that he had a completely different take on a particular beer than the actual judges, but he was not judging, so his opinion didn't count.

So, I entered the Schooner homebrew competition for the great lakes brew fest that was going on in Racine, WI. I haven't gotten the judging sheet back yet, but I know I wasn't in the top 3 out of 28 in the American pale ale category. I was just wondering what peoples' experiences were the first time they entered. How did you place and score, how good did your beer taste before and after the results lol, what did you learn, and anything else.

Thanks for sharing!

I was going to post a similar thread, glad you did it first. I also entered Schooner as well as the FOAM cup which both went down this weekend, they were my first competitions. I entered a hefe and an APA to the FOAM cup and a hefe, APA, American Stout to Schooner. Nothing placed at FOAM, but I got Gold @ Schooner for my APA. I'm shocked, I entered these mainly because I thought the hefe was great and knew damn well the APA category would be packed but wanted feedback. Can't wait to get the score sheets!

I finally entered a couple of my brews in a competition recently (Spokane interstate fair). I got first for my pilsner and second for my ESB. It was a fairly small competition so I'm not going to get overly excited about it, but it's certainly a good starting point.

I was going to post a similar thread, glad you did it first. I also entered Schooner as well as the FOAM cup which both went down this weekend, they were my first competitions. I entered a hefe and an APA to the FOAM cup and a hefe, APA, American Stout to Schooner. Nothing placed at FOAM, but I got Gold @ Schooner for my APA. I'm shocked, I entered these mainly because I thought the hefe was great and knew damn well the APA category would be packed but wanted feedback. Can't wait to get the score sheets!

So YOU're Charlie...hehe, j/p. Congrats man! I now wish I would have tried all those winners at the homebrew island, but that was like at the 1 hour mark, and I was already drunk and not thinking correctly.

I've only entered one beer in one show. Best of show out of 299 entries.

Now I've entered another and will probably ruin my batting average. ;)

Back